Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5150 VGA Card Compatibility

Default IBM 5150 VGA Card Compatibility

I am looking for a VGA card solution for my 1983 IBM 5150. It currently has 640K of RAM, a 10MB HDD (that I need to replace, it sounds like its gonna die), and the 3rd BIOS revision. I was wondering mainly if anyone knows if any Trident cards work in the 5150, as they are very prolific and easy to find on Ebay. My other option is the XT-SVGA card from MonoTech, but if I can I don't want to spend $80 on it. If anyone knows the compatibility of these cards, please do tell!

Blog Entries

Quite a few 16 bit VGA cards work in 8 bit slots. Some do so automatically others need jumpers to tell the card to run in that mode, and yes Trident made their fair share. That said, there is no central database of what cards can and cannot do this, most of us have simply plugged the VGA card in and turned on the machine, if it works great, if not then we move to the next card.

What you can do is see if you can find the jumper settings for the Trident cards listed on Ebay, failing that, if the thing is cheap enough then just buy it and try it.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Quite a few 16 bit VGA cards work in 8 bit slots. Some do so automatically others need jumpers to tell the card to run in that mode, and yes Trident made their fair share. That said, there is no central database of what cards can and cannot do this, most of us have simply plugged the VGA card in and turned on the machine, if it works great, if not then we move to the next card.
    Actually, there is a thread devoted to this exact topic:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-ISA-VGA-cards
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Tony198 View Post
    I am looking for a VGA card solution for my 1983 IBM 5150.
    Welcome to these forums.

There is an IBM 5150 specific list of known-compatible VGA cards at [here]. Both 8-bit and 16-bit.

Be careful. I had a hell of a time trying to get VGA on a 5160. Two tridents with no success, finally got a Video 7 V-ram VGA to work. Research research research.
    Looking For:
    IBM PS/2 8595 Motherboard
    MCA sound card (will pay big bucks)
    IBM PC Server 720/others

Blog Entries

It's been well documented here and a few other places. A quite internet search would have provided good results.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."