Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I save this A2M2010?

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Dang. I didn't see that. I thought the CRT was okay.. I've usually seen the CRT develop a black spot once the vacuum lets out. Didn't see that on this one.

Would it be safe to try a power up if it is empty?
    Don't give up of the tube just yet. Most of the crts i open up for the first time have a layer of dust on the tube neck. Once its discharged try wiping it off. I have fixed far worse A2m2010 monitors than yours. And btw my primary a2m2010 which i use as my main bench monitor has a hand written serial number too. Btw the vent gills are easy. Prey them all off. Sand the area smooth and clean and adhere a metal mesh screen to the inside and it will still look good.

Screen mounts are easy too. Start with super your. Than once it cures use the solding iron to weld the plastic back together. Use epoxy to bulk it up after.

Blog Entries

When I plugged it in, it made this awful whine noise and didn't light up (I didn't dare leave it plugged in very long). I've only ever heard that noise before.. after I broke another CRT by accident and then plugged it in to confirm the hissing noise after I bumped it was what I thought it was.

It's entirely possible to hear that noise due to a bad flyback, or less likely, due to an external short like VERAULT suggests.

Do you have a high voltage probe? If not, I highly recommend getting one such as this https://www.ebay.com/p/1400283103?ii...87314360&rt=nc If not, maybe just disconnect the second anode button and leave it dangling far from anything remotely conductive and power up the monitor to see if you still hear that noise. That would indicate a bad flyback.

I agree that is a valid test. I remember a few weeks ago when I left the anode dangling (entirely my fault as I forgot to connect it) I heard a static crackle and had the smell of ozone in the air. I was relieved that the CRT was working, I had just forgotten the anode cap.

I still think you should discharge the CRT and wipe the Tube neck to see if its just dust or cloudiness.