Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP - Firefox vs Bing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    FF should have a "safe" mode; go to a command prompt (or "run") and enter

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    You should be able to get into your "Options" menu under the "Tools" tab and see what's going on.
    After some fussing about, I was finally able to get to the FF toolbar at the top. The question still remains on how Bing imported itself, as I don't browse on this old gamer unless it for a game connected driver or update. Be that as it may, Bing is one of the few 'search engines/browsers' that works with any efficiently on this old XP box (please - no Pale Moon or Monkey's Uncle or any of those other off the wall types). Just thought that some might find this interesting.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Duckduckgo still works just fine on my old XP boxes. I wouldn't touch Bing with a ten foot pole. Forcefully changing the home page to it is just another reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Duckduckgo still works just fine on my old XP boxes. I wouldn't touch Bing with a ten foot pole. Forcefully changing the home page to it is just another reason.
    Yeah, DuckDuckGo is right in there with Monkey's Uncle and few others.

Blog Entries

Dogpile used to be very good, but Google owns the search market nowadays, so the results are very similar.

One thing, that, AFAIK, DDG and Dogpile don't have is Google's extended search syntax, not to forget stupid Google tricks (e.g., searching for "askew").

I use Startpage search, but I don't know why it misses out on a lot of the search results Google search gets. Sometimes I am forced to use Google to find more relevant results for things, especially details on tech stuff. Which is funny because Startpage search engine is supposed to prevent you from becoming segregated in your search results, which they say can happen to you if you use Google search.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I use Startpage search, but I don't know why it misses out on a lot of the search results Google search gets. Sometimes I am forced to use Google to find more relevant results for things, especially details on tech stuff. Which is funny because Startpage search engine is supposed to prevent you from becoming segregated in your search results, which they say can happen to you if you use Google search.
    Bing is a pretty good search engine but I only use it occasionally. Google seems to be pretty darn good. Also, Bing seems to be permanently affixed to FF in my old Xp gamer.

7. Default

I only use Bing when I use a really old pc that has IE6 - Bing works perfectly, where google doesn't work at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    I only use Bing when I use a really old pc that has IE6 - Bing works perfectly, where google doesn't work at all.
    +1 on that.