Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a difference between an Apple IIGS keyboard and a 'normal' ADB keyboard?

Default Is there a difference between an Apple IIGS keyboard and a 'normal' ADB keyboard?

I've got an Apple IIGS which I love, and I've got a significant stockpile of Apple Extended Keyboard II's. However, I find that the IIGS doesn't like to reboot when the "three finger salute" is pressed on any of the AEKII's - something about the timing of it is really finicky and weird, and 9/10 times it just drops to the ROM Monitor rather than rebooting the machine... but sometimes it works fine. Very odd. Given this, I'm suddenly wondering if there's an actual functional difference between a "real" Apple IIGS keyboard (the keyboard the IIGS would've shipped with) and other ADB keyboards. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thanks!

Huxley

Not that I am aware of.

The //gs actually introduced ADB, then the Mac "borrowed" it.
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.
    Old Computer Fun! (Muh Projects Blahg) | Muh YouTube Channel that goes with it

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Not that I am aware of.

The //gs actually introduced ADB, then the Mac "borrowed" it.
    That matches my understanding / memory, but the results I'm getting with multiple Extended Keyboard II's (and multiple ADB cables) really has me wondering. I suppose my IIGS motherboard might be weird, or that I'm just somehow not doing it right... I'd be curious if someone with a IIGS and the original / stock IIGS-style keyboard could confirm their results while doing a Ctrl-Apple-Reset for comparison.

Blog Entries

I have the 658-4081 model IIgs keyboard on a ROM 1 IIgs, and today it seems to be behaving pretty reliably for the Ctrl-Apple-Reset reset operation. I've seen times in the past where it dropped into the ROM monitor, but kept wondering if I was just using the wrong combination since I'm not very used to the IIgs.

I did some further testing, and if I press just Ctrl-Reset, it drops to the ROM monitor, and unless the IIgs is power cycled, even Ctrl-Apple-Reset just drops back to the ROM monitor. After the power cycle, the original behavior of Ctrl-Apple-Reset is restored. So perhaps you accidentally didn't get the Apple key pressed in time once and then it just misbehaves.

Huh? What configuration causes this? Ctrl-Reset should take you to the BASIC prompt.

I think the timing is funny sometimes even on the original keyboard. Some conditions cause it to stop working sometimes.

I always hold CTRL-APPLE then press and hold reset for a moment, then let go of just reset leaving the others held. This seems to work 99% of the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Huh? What configuration causes this? Ctrl-Reset should take you to the BASIC prompt.
    Oh, sorry, it is the Basic prompt. Like I said I'm not very familiar with the Apple II series yet.

I happen to have a //gs keyboard, an Apple Keyboard II, and an Apple Extended Keyboard II. I shall try them all on the //gs tomorrow and report back (assuming I can figure out which boxes they are squirreled away in).

Now that you mention it, I used to have an LCII with the //e card in it, ages ago. I seem to recall having troubles similar to what you mention, unless I was sure to make reset the last key that I pressed. But I may be misremembering. But yeah, I seem to remember that if I just hit them all at once and released fast, it'd act like a control-reset instead of a control-OA-reset.
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.

Yes, make sure that you're holding ctrl and open apple, then pressing and releasing reset. If you release reset after releasing open apple, you'll get ctrl-reset which should drop you to a BASIC ] prompt, unless something has hooked the ctrl-reset vector to do something different.

I couldn't find my AEK-II, but I just tested this on the //gs keyboard and the AK-II, on both ROM 1 and ROM 3 //gses (still trying to get a working disk drive the the //gses, so I haven't used them much yet).

With both, behavior is as I remember from the //e card days: You must hold control+OA, press and release reset, but keep holding control+OA until the system reboots. If you release them too fast, it acts like you only pressed control-reset.

As far as I can remember from when I was a kid, the //e, //+, and //c didn't act this way. You could press and release as fast as you wanted.
    -- Lee