Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: FPGA accelerator cards

I was going by the system requirements page that says it still only needs a 486:

http://www.slackware.com/install/sysreq.php

Strictly speaking I don't know if there's anything that gets compiled in with 586 optimizations that's a deal breaker, like the CMOV thing with 686. If there is I suppose they should update the page.

(Slackware was my first Linux love, but we drifted apart sometime in the early 2000s. On one had it warms my heart that it still exists, but on the other I haven't wanted to go back to it particularly badly. Although systemd might yet change my mind.)

And yes, browsers suck. I've b****ed about this before, but I still find it annoying that I have not one but *two* beautiful big-screen Pentium M laptops (which *do* have SSE2, actually) that run perfectly well otherwise but utterly faceplant if you try to load one of the "Big Two" (Firefox/Chrome) browsers. Even machines that can run the code get crushed under the sheer bulk of the modern web.

(I have actually been moderately impressed by the alternate QupZilla/Falkon browser, however. It's fast enough to use on those machines but seems featureful enough for the basic tasks I ask of it.)

In theory, the kernel should run on any 486. In practise, I don't think it does. When I tried this (using a late 2.6 kernel, quite some time ago), I got it to work easily in Qemu "-cpu 486". Real hardware (ISA-only, DX/33, 8 MB RAM) just reset immediately.

It would be nice if someone could actually provide a kernel configuration using a modern kernel, which is proven to work on a plain old 486DX (or SX, for that matter).

Here's an article about compiling a working Linux distribution for a 64MB RAM 486 machine in 2018:

http://yeokhengmeng.com/2018/01/make...6-great-again/

Getting it to go in only 8MB might be really tough, compilation issues aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    When I tried this (using a late 2.6 kernel, quite some time ago), I got it to work easily in Qemu "-cpu 486". Real hardware (ISA-only, DX/33, 8 MB RAM) just reset immediately
    Just as an aside, that article above says that any attempt to use Grub2 to load a kernel on their 486 caused an immediate reboot, they had to use LILO instead. That may be an interesting data point.

Quote Originally Posted by MicroCoreLabs View Post
    Am I that guy?

PS: Im going to open source the MCL86 and a number of my projects onto Github very soon...
    You are that guy and open sourcing it would be fantastic!!!
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    For me I can't see the point. A vintage system is slow because its vintage or vintage because its slow. Speeding up such systems usually breaks a few things with software timing loops. If its not original its not so much fun. I did faster disks in my IBM PC Server 500 but only because the originals were becoming un reliable....
    I guess I think of it as being similar to the XT-IDE. I'm not trying to do anything that wasn't possible in the 80's per say but the original components from the period are either no longer functional or difficult to find.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phones suck because they come through the internet.

Default Microcore Labs projects on GitHub

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    You are that guy and open sourcing it would be fantastic!!!

Here you go. Enjoy!

https://github.com/MicroCoreLabs/Projects

-Ted

Thank you very much!!