Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FPGA accelerator cards

Blog Entries

Power CPU has another 5 years of production according to IBM's terms of the sale of the fabs to Global Foundries. 10 year deal done almost exactly 5 years ago.

I keep thinking SPARC has *got* to be dead by now, but it's apparently still shambling along in the hands of Fujitsu. It'll be interesting to see how long that lasts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Power CPU has another 5 years of production according to IBM's terms of the sale of the fabs to Global Foundries. 10 year deal done almost exactly 5 years ago.
    Sure, but is any POWER development happening? It's not clear to me.

Blog Entries

Supposedly, there will be a POWER10 released next year. Given the usual 3 year run of a new POWER design, I expect that to be the last major POWER design with a couple of minor tweaks before the contract runs out.

IBM recently announced they were open sourcing the Power ISA, so it's possible that some other company or consortium could pick up the ball and run with it. Honestly I suspect if this succeeds at all it's going to be in the sort of embedded niches where MIPS and friends are still a thing, not high-end products, but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    GF picked up those fabs, and has sold at least one of them. The East Fishkill, NY fab has been running wafers for Power CPU and was sold to ON Semi. I think GF agreed to do some kind of joint operation until 2022, when their contract with IBM starts to reach a close.

If POWER10 is a thing, it makes me wonder where it's actually going to get made.

MIPS had it's heyday when Sony opted for it in the psp. Not sure what was used in the Vita. Ok I looked, it was arm based.

There are a number of Chinese companies making MIPS64 compatible CPUs, mostly for domestic consumption, but weird little micro-PCs and netbooks based on them occasionally leak out.

Blog Entries

Well, the PIC32 MCUs are MIPS-based, but I fear losing to the ocean of ARM MCUs.

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    If its not original its not so much fun. I did faster disks in my IBM PC Server 500 but only because the originals were becoming un reliable....
    It is a trade-off. If a non-original upgrade improves usefulness, then I'll definitely consider it. I'd happily use a modern 512 KB SRAM chip to get an XT-class machine to full memory, and if I can add some form of networking and modern display, then I'll add those as well. Simply because they make the machine much more useful: If it is no fun to use, it won't be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Well, the PIC32 MCUs are MIPS-based, but I fear losing to the ocean of ARM MCUs.
    Well, the main architectures are x86 and ARM. Both SPARC and POWER have been open-sourced, because they are not worth keeping secret any longer. However, MIPS is strong in China due to the less strict licensing, and RISC-V is now starting to gain fast. According to Western Digital, it is probably the biggest architecture by chip count already (WD and many others have already moved away from ARM for their drive controller circuits).