Image Map Image Map

Thread: Gateway 2000 4DX-33 POST errors help needed

Default Gateway 2000 4DX-33 POST errors help needed

This is a repost from another thread where I think it got a bit buried. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by reposting/reframing the question.

I recently acquired a Gateway 4DX-33 with (shockingly) a 486DX-33 and 8mb RAM. This system is from about 1993 and runs Phoenix BIOS a486 v1.00.06.AC0

I'm experiencing a number of POST errors that I'm hoping to get help with.

It gives two short beeps a pause and then another short beep.

The codes it produces are: 370, 330, 290, 210 (sometimes), 190, 135 (brighter white on 135)

It occurred to me that this might be a memory issue so I did do a bit of testing with the simms.

The memory config is two 4mb 72 pin simms in two slots labeled Bank 0 and Bank 1.

They are both are filled with the same module type which is an 8 chip simm stamped Goldstar E114072 9328 GS4. The chips are stamped GM7IC4400AJ70 9332.
    I'm super rusty on memory chip geometry so not sure whether the geometry of these simms is even supported by the MB which is 1M x 36 + 1M x 36 (8mb) according to the info below.

I've pulled both and used each in bank 0 but I don't see a particularly different set of errors though some of the 3 digit codes seem to come and go depending on what memory is present.

I believe the motherboard is an "Intel Classic R" (as found on the site below.)

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...CLASSIC-R.html

Thanks for any advice!

Blog Entries

All Phoenix beep codes are either 3 beep sequences or 4 beep sequences, which isn't matching with your description of two beep sequences. Try powering it up, listening carefully, and compare what you get with the codes listed at https://www.rigacci.org/docs/biblio/...ware/beep3.htm

When you say "the codes it produces", where are you seeing these codes? On a POST card? On the screen? Can you provide a clear screenshot? (don't upload an image, use external image hosting)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Thanks for the info...can't check tonight but I should be able to double check and post a screen tomorrow.

The quick answer is that these codes are flashing on the screen under the memory test during POST.

So I think I was getting confused by just how long the beep sequence lasts. I think what I'm hearing is 2-1-1 which would seem to point to memory.

2-1-1 1st 64K RAM chip or data line failure - bit 0

I haven't really done all that much on this PC yet but I was able to run through the entire DOS 6 installation without any trouble. I haven't done much more with it yet. Is this something that could allow the machine to function sometimes but crash unexpectedly?

I don't think an eight chip 72 pin SIMM has parity -- it's only 32 bits, not 36 bits. That could cause the errors you are seeing.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

That makes perfect sense...thanks!

So very surprisingly a brand new (2019) stick of memory of the right type (only $4!) had no effect. I still get essentially the exact same results. Not sure what to try next :P

And this topic belongs in a different category

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    And this topic belongs in a different category
    Sorry about that I thought this went up through the 486 era for some reason. Just realized now it's only supposed to go through 286 era.