Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've been off the PC gaming turf for a long time. What's it like to be a gamer today?

Default I've been off the PC gaming turf for a long time. What's it like to be a gamer today?

I never finished building a gaming PC or looked at games in a store since 2012... Do they still make offline only games? That's the only ones I have interest in. I want a physical copy or digital download so I can play the same game even 2 decades from now and not worry about online servers going down. Do any new PC games still come on a DVD data disc? What's it like to be a gamer in 2019?

Based on the discussions I've been following, modern gaming is like ordering a burger, getting two halves of a bun, being told you need to pay for all of the contents separately, biting in to find that the bread is full of mealworms, and being told that there's no support roadmap for hamburger buns going forward.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I never finished building a gaming PC or looked at games in a store since 2012... Do they still make offline only games? That's the only ones I have interest in. I want a physical copy or digital download so I can play the same game even 2 decades from now and not worry about online servers going down. Do any new PC games still come on a DVD data disc? What's it like to be a gamer in 2019?
    Give GOG.COM a try. Not always the newest but DRM free. Just about all of the new releases are Stream and you don't get a CD except to get you into Steam for the setup. Some will point out that it's possible to play Steam games off-line but it's a hassle (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...3160-agcb-2555). Personally, I don't have the patience or memory capabilities anymore to put up with it.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Personally, I don't have the patience or memory capabilities anymore to put up with it.
    Tom, am I correct in that you are referring an age related issue? If so, I know precisely where you're coming from and I sympathise. I figure it must be this since I know that none of your computers suffer from memory issues.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Tom, am I correct in that you are referring an age related issue? If so, I know precisely where you're coming from and I sympathise. I figure it must be this since I know that none of your computers suffer from memory issues.
    Yeah, you nailed it. That's why I like splat games the most. Example: I was playing 'Syberia 2' yesterday, you know, with the heroine Kate Walker, and I constantly had to refer to the cheat sheet to get along. Not much of a challenge but well done and fun to play. Graphics are really good for 2002. Memory may or may not be an issue. BTW, who are you?

P.S. No memory issues with the new gamer - it's got 32 GB.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Yeah, you nailed it. That's why I like splat games the most. Example: I was playing 'Syberia 2' yesterday, you know, with the heroine Kate Walker, and I constantly had to refer to the cheat sheet to get along. Not much of a challenge but well done and fun to play. Graphics are really good for 2002. Memory may or may not be an issue. BTW, who are you?

P.S. No memory issues with the new gamer - it's got 32 GB.
    You've got that list of 150 or so games on ~600 floppies I have on a CD from 92, 93 and 94. They are the absolute best of that era and are more our speed.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I've had a hankering to build or equipt something that could play modernish games. I've even contemplated buying a console for the past few.
    I'm like the op, and although some of the mp rpgs of recent years seemed interesting, I don't generally want to invest in a game or it's h/w that relies on an external server. Or have to pay a subscription to something.

I lean towards sci to tech type games, and driving (but NOT gta). These modern games all seem so monotonous, but when were games not.

I did buy a copy of Homeworld 2 some months ago, only to throw out the plastic case with serial # (it was moldy). You can scarf a serial # online though. I'll get around to installing that eventually. But right now I'm brushing up on my C, as I need to be able to dissect Minix, as I need to be able to run it on rather alien hardware. Just like a game scenario. Sort of.

Blog Entries

Well new games are all downloads now. If you can even find the game at Wallwart the only thing in the DVD holder is a serial you need to use to download it (and they can be 50GB+ so you better have a fat internet pipe).

Not many good AAA titles for single player, everything pretty much went online multi player and some are subscription based.

Decent graphics cards are expensive, and much more expensive if you want to game on a 2K or 4K monitor at decent speeds.

I quit playing modern games around 2005 or so and have started buying some of the better titles that came after plus putting together gaming rigs with graphics cards of the time period for fun. Putting systems together is probably more fun then new games.

GOG is great for buying older games on sale that are compatible with newer OS. It is also nice that you can download standalone installers (with manuals and whatever else was available) and dump them on your server so you can install them whenever you like.

To be honest I have been thinking of just buying older game consoles and to start building a game library that way. Or just firing up my old original XBOX and buying a new HDMI cable (I have the component cables currently).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Well new games are all downloads now. If you can even find the game at Wallwart the only thing in the DVD holder is a serial you need to use to download it (and they can be 50GB+ so you better have a fat internet pipe).

Not many good AAA titles for single player, everything pretty much went online multi player and some are subscription based.

Decent graphics cards are expensive, and much more expensive if you want to game on a 2K or 4K monitor at decent speeds.

I quit playing modern games around 2005 or so and have started buying some of the better titles that came after plus putting together gaming rigs with graphics cards of the time period for fun. Putting systems together is probably more fun then new games.

GOG is great for buying older games on sale that are compatible with newer OS. It is also nice that you can download standalone installers (with manuals and whatever else was available) and dump them on your server so you can install them whenever you like.

To be honest I have been thinking of just buying older game consoles and to start building a game library that way. Or just firing up my old original XBOX and buying a new HDMI cable (I have the component cables currently).
    When did this happen? When did newly released games switch over to being all Steam and online based? In 2012 you could still buy all new games on disc, AFAIK. What year did everything change, or begin to change?

Since I have no interest in playing online-only games, the answer to my above question will help me decide how modern my gaming PC hardware needs to be.

Thanks guys.

What do you mean by AAA titles? Acronyms sometimes confuse me and i'm not always familiar with some.