Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson QX-10, need help!

Default Epson QX-10, need help!

I just had the good fortune to pick up an Epson qx-10 set and couldn't wait to plug it in. When I did so, it wouldn't turn on. The power supply had a blown fuse but even after replacing it I still don't get the system to turn on. It is not producing any DC voltages at all. Where should I start troubleshooting? Is there a simple drop in replacement?

Happy news! I got the power supply to work after swapping in some new components: all voltages are correct and the computer lights up. However, I do not get the "insert diskette" messages that I should be getting. What should I try next?

I apologize for the double post but apparently I cannot edit old messages. This is a video of the computer booting with the monitor cranked to maximum brightness. I get no image otherwise, but it seems to be booting, I just can't see it.

https://streamable.com/gzcl6

good chance it's the display cable itself. I owned one of these BITD and heard of cable problems with some. I recall it has 4 or 5 pins, one of them is video, I can't remember if sync is on a separate line or not.
    There is schematics online somewhere

Larry G

7-pin 8-pin
    monitor QX-10 function wire color (original)
    ------- ----- -------- ----------
    1 ------- 8 video shielded wire
    2 ------- 5 v. sync grey
    3 ------- 4 h. sync red
    4 ------- 1 +12 V brown
    5 ------- 2 sync gnd green
    6 ------- 7 video gnd shield
    7 none
    3 none
    6 none

Note the pin numbering for these DIN connectors isn't ordered.

Greetings & success,

Fred Jan

Thank you for this information, I did note that one end of the video cable is somewhat frayed and could possibly be damaged. Is it possible that even thought the monitor powers on (12v from cable) that the video signal is interrupted? I will work on testing continuity, but is there a place to order a relatively inexpensive replacement? I understand this is very much not standard, but I'm not sure I will be able to repair the cable itself.

Quote Originally Posted by username1 View Post
    Thank you for this information, I did note that one end of the video cable is somewhat frayed and could possibly be damaged. Is it possible that even thought the monitor powers on (12v from cable) that the video signal is interrupted? I will work on testing continuity, but is there a place to order a relatively inexpensive replacement? I understand this is very much not standard, but I'm not sure I will be able to repair the cable itself.
    On both questions, yes. About the latter, I was able to buy both (reasonably priced) DIN-connectors from an online shop in the U.K., but is seems I cannot find the order information. Or the connectors themselves, for that matter. The plan was to make an extra cable for the spare monitor I have. I didn't search very hard, so with some patience, it will pop up .

New video cables are available for the QX-10 from a place in Colorado. I can't find their new name, but a google search might work.

I actually managed to find that site, it was iec.net. it's arriving later today so I'll soon update on whether or not it solves my issues.

Funnily enough, I called ahead because I wanted to make sure they had it and I nabbed their last one. The man on the phone said he's worked there 30 years and never had someone ask about it, hahah!

Unfortunately the new cable seems to be no dice. Somehow it seems to work less than the old one: the crt won't power on with it, which on the old damaged cable, it would at least let me turn the brightness up. What gives?