Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tandy 1000 TL that eats power supplies

From the looks of that board it might not be a bad idea to just clean it at the same time you replace the '244. It looks pretty dirty, it's possible there could be something sticking to it that's messing with you.

Great Idea @eudimorph to clean up the board cause it looks like a light layer of rust?? Which in theory could act like a semi conductor. I usually use ISO alcohol but that is just me.
    *FrankG*

The electrolyte used in capacitors is a base. Use white vinegar and then rinse with water, followed by DI water rinse.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

It seems to be mostly just thick dust and grime... maybe from being stored in a shed. I wonder if I should do the dishwasher trick?

Shed dirt may well have a lot of rust and other potentially conductive yuck in it, any kind of bath is probably not a bad idea. I usually use a combination of alcohol and vinegar treatments with some light toothbrush-ing, but as long as whatever you use isn't corrosive and you're careful to make sure the board is bone dry before you try applying power to it again the exact method is probably not that critical.

Don't put switches in the dish washer.
    Dwight