Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Buying Software

Default When Buying Software

Hi Guys,
    I have two questions.

First, I buy many used games from eBay and I have a question. When you purchase used software, do you always ask if the key (if needed) is supplied and whether the discs can be read? Or do you assume (I hate to use that word) the key is supplied and the discs are valid (therefore the software is usable) unless stated otherwise in the description? And what would you do if/when you find the software is unusable?

Second, if you buy something off eBay, pay and then the seller tells you the item can't be found and immediately refunds your money, do you leave any feedback?

Thanks...Joe

It never hurts to ask. I'm sure you know what the definition of assume is.

You can always leave feedback and briefly describe what happened. Something like that deserves a 'neutral', at best.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

If the listing doesn't specify usability, then I'd ask before buying.

The seller may not know if vintage s/w is useable. The seller may also specify as-is. If it was tested at the time of listing say ... it may not work when you get it. You have to be fair about this crap, some people ask too much to begin with, idiots bid things through the roof then go into labor when they receive it and it doesn't work.

You may want to ask for a partial or full refund depending on the terms. I generally don't see a lot of vindictiveness with feedback, there are exceptions. Try to be human and fair.

I am apprehensive about leaving negative feedback, not wanting to unduly hurt someone's reputation. In fact I at least used to be a total pushover. I guess I'm a bit more eye for an eye these days. But you have to see it from the other person's perspective. And no if a seller claims so.ething went missing my first reaction isn't to leave negative FB. There may ne exceptions dependimg on what it is.

I've gotten shrinkwrapped stuff that still had 80s or 90s computer store price stickers on the wrap that wasn't readable, one kind of hopes it would be but you can't very well get mad over something like *that*! On the other hand, I've bought copies of software that required activation, and that were listed as "new, never used" and then wouldn't activate due to prior activations. I've definitely raised issue over things like that.

Blog Entries

Very old magnetic media stored under the best conditions can still go bad in the box. When I buy old software it is because I want the box and manuals, if the floppies work all the better, but most software can be found on the internet. I do expect CD's to work and not be cracked. Even if you do buy legit media some apps need dongles and those tend to get lost easily making the whole package useless.

I have left negative feedback when somebody sold me a Xtree Gold many years ago and sent me 3 home made floppies instead of the boxed original he advertised.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Personally, I cringe whenever someone says they "tested" a piece of software. It is easy for a non-expert to damage floppy disks just plopping them in to some crappy floppy drive, and most OSes these days try to write all kinds of hidden crap back to the disks. They also may interpret copy protection as being a bad disk and toss it.

You would really have to research the software yourself to determine if a program requires a key or serial and if it does and the seller does not show one included, then ask.

Of course, with much "modern" software that phones home I would fully expect to be non-functional even if they never used or opened it. Also keep in mind that sometimes any remaining product support will not transfer to a new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have left negative feedback when somebody sold me a Xtree Gold many years ago and sent me 3 home made floppies instead of the boxed original he advertised.
    I've wondered if that's what some of those DOS, CP/M, Apple II, etc. listings are for...

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've wondered if that's what some of those DOS, CP/M, Apple II, etc. listings are for...
    Been going on for a long time i think, There is / was a seller on ebah selling DOS 6.22 on 4 1.44M floppies with home printed labels and they sold hundreds of sets, I've also seen Win 3 / 95 Floppy disc sets Not original and just a single non-original boot floppy's for 5 a pop, and people buy them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I am apprehensive about leaving negative feedback, not wanting to unduly hurt someone's reputation.
    If comes down to taking money out of your pocket due to false pretenses, I'm not the least bit concerned with someones' 'hurt' reputation. Case in point: Earlier this year I purchased a 'brand new in the box' motherboard from someone on the west coast. The box itself appeared to be new but the accessories and packaging weren't consistent with a new product. The motherboard was stuffed in static bag with no backing and all the bits and pieces that one would expect with a 'new' product' were not there. I was willing to look past most of these shortcomings except for one major discrepancy; the mobo wouldn't POST. What was advertised as NIB was in fact an open box return item. The seller was adamant in that all sales were final and he had successfully sold 6 others with no problems. After about three rounds of emails and totally unable to resolve the issues with the seller, I notified Ebay and had my money back within a few days. The seller also paid for the return postage. I haven't lost any sleep over dinging him. Don't try to snow the snowman.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting