Image Map Image Map

Thread: Anyone know how to capture Motorola MCM6832 mask ROMs with a Data I/O Unipak?

Default Anyone know how to capture Motorola MCM6832 mask ROMs with a Data I/O Unipak?

I just received eight Tektronix 4051 and 4052 ROM Packs and I want to capture and upload the ROMs, but the 4051 ROM Packs have this MCM6832 2kx8 mask ROM that requires +5V, +12V and -12V.

I've got a Data I/O with Unipak 2B, but I don't want to damage these ROMs.

Anyone successfully read these mask ROMs?

Thanks,
    Monty

Monty,
    It should be no big deal. The MCM68A332 is pin compatible with the MCM68766, with the exception of Pins 20 & 21.
    These are the Chip Select Pins that are a Custom Program for the Specific Customer. For the MCM68A332 Pin 20
    is S1* (Active LOW) and Pin 21 is presently Unknown. You will need to try a Read with it LOW, then HIGH (pulled
    up with a 5K Resistor and see what condition allows a read of the data.

The 1979_Motorola_Memory_Data_Book.PDF has both ROMS. (Bitsavers)

I did a similar thing with the MCM68766 ROM and for a READ I only needed Pin 12 VSS (5V Common),
    Pin 24 at Vcc (+ 5VDC) and Pin 20 G* (Low for Chip Select), and the Data was clocked out on D{0..7}.
    Page 4-10.

I used an Arduino, and that threw a small problem in the read of my Character Generator because some
    of the Data Lines were PULLED UP by the Arduino. The Character Generator only used 5 of the 8 Bits.
    I have that Document if you would like to read it. It shouldn't impact your data from your read assuming
    your are reading a full 8 bits.

It's simple enough to do, and no big deal.

Larry

Have you seen this thread, one method is to dump via serial port:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...ASIC-Simulator

Regards,
    John

Monty,
    Any Progress?

Thanks.

Larry

Larry,

I found a full MCM6832 datasheet in the Motorola MC 6800 Microcomputer System Design Data book, and compared it to the TI Memory data book TMS2716 datasheet.

I got a tip that the TI TMS2716 had similar +5V, -5V and +12V voltage rails and size, but different pinout, so I created the following diagram and pin conversion list:

I used a plugboard to connect one of the Motorola ROMs to a set of sockets that I put into the Data I/O Unipak 2B 24-pin ZIF socket, and used the 23/28 family pinout code for the TMS2716.

The Data I/O posted an Error 31 "Excessive Current Drain".

I rechecked my wiring and looked at the datasheets again - the TMS2716 had similar current on -5V and +12V but almost no current on +5V compared to the Motorola, so I disconnected the jumper from the Data I/O pin 24 and powered the Motorola ROM from a separate supply to +5V. I still got the Error 31, so I stopped.

I haven't tried your Arduino program.

Monty

I ohmed out my wiring and found a couple of wiring errors and a bad jumper.

I was able to read eight of nine MCM6832 ROMs! They were all over 40 years old!

See my post:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...062#post592062

My RS-232 Printer Interface ROM Pack had a different 1KB Motorola ROM MCM68308. The pinout is more standard - and close to the Intel 2708, so I tried reading it with the Motorola pin 18 pulled out of the Unipak socket and connected to +5V as shown in the service manual schematic - but my Data I/O indicated the device was reversed. I checked the device orientation and it was correct.

I may try to read the device with an Arduino using Larry's code - but not this weekend.