Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pentium 133 board question

Default Pentium 133 board question

Hello all again,
    I received a 1997 pentium 133 machine and have a question about the motherboard. I can’t find any model code online. It has 3 SIMM slots but beneath it it also appears to have 2 DIMM slots. Was this common for this generation of Pentium? Can all the slots be populated or is it either the SIMM or the DIMM? Does anyone else have a machine like this?
    Thanks,
    Ian

It can't have 3 SIMM slots as SIMMs work in pairs. So it's either 2 or 4 SIMM slots.

I have a board with both SIMM and DIMM slots. The manual shows some configurations with both SIMM and DIMM memory together however it notes that the manufacturer does not recommend mixed mode usage.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KD2IXL View Post
    Hello all again,
    I received a 1997 pentium 133 machine and have a question about the motherboard. I can’t find any model code online. It has 3 SIMM slots but beneath it it also appears to have 2 DIMM slots. Was this common for this generation of Pentium? Can all the slots be populated or is it either the SIMM or the DIMM? Does anyone else have a machine like this?
    Thanks,
    Ian
    Try matching it up here: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

A picture and the chipset information may help the rest of us identify the board.

Is one memory slot separated from the rest? It may be a COAST socket for cache instead of a RAM socket.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It can't have 3 SIMM slots as SIMMs work in pairs. So it's either 2 or 4 SIMM slots.
    This was only true of 30 pin SIMMs, but is not true of 72pin simms. I have some 486 boards that can run with a single 72pin SIMM in them.

In general most boards that have support for both generally won't allow for both to run together, and even if they do there would be some sort of tradeoff, usually in performance (ie the faster DIMM modules would be forced to run at the speed/refresh rate of the SIMMs). OP plan on one or the other, but I'd recommend the DIMMs and not the SIMMs.

EDIT: As Stone points out below, in general Pentium boards needed 72pin SIMMs to be installed in pairs. If your board has 3 of these sockets, then it maybe one of the few exceptions to this rule.
    Last edited by lutiana; October 17th, 2019 at 08:13 AM.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    This was only true of 30 pin SIMMs, but is true of 72pin simms. I have some 486 boards that can run with a single 72pin SIMM in them
    Pentium boards require pairs and this is what the OP has.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Pentium boards require pairs and this is what the OP has.
    That's not entirely true. Maybe it applied on early Pentiums chipsets or was the most common case, but definitely not a generic rule. Also this is clearly a late socket 7 motherboard as it has DIMM sockets.
    I've only seen this on boards with 2 SIMM + x DIMM sockets like lutiana said to be fair, I've never seen 3.
    Last edited by konc; October 17th, 2019 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by konc View Post
    That's not entirely true. Maybe it applied on early Pentiums chipsets or was the most common case, but definitely not a generic rule. Also this is clearly a late socket 7 motherboard as it has DIMM sockets.
    I've only seen this on boards with 2 SIMM + x DIMM sockets like lutiana said to be fair, I've never seen 3.
    Yes, it is true. The 'pairs' referred to SIMMs and all Pentiums require two SIMMs to complete a bank. DIMMs were not part of the discussion here.

Yes, it is true. The 'pairs' referred to SIMMs and all Pentiums require two SIMMs to complete a bank. DIMMs were not part of the discussion here.
    Maybe I wasn't clear, I've had a very late socket 7 motherboard with 2 SIMM sockets (+DIMMs but as you said it's irrelevant) that works with 1 SIMM installed. Uncommon? Sure. But it exists.

Blog Entries

Though without more information from the OP, it will be difficult to ascertain the specifics of that board. Might be a mistake in the description, might have a slot to nowhere or a slot that isn't for main memory, or might have a memory controller able to use of an odd number of SIMMs.