Image Map Image Map

Thread: Unknown PC

Default Unknown PC

Hello, I recently found a computer which someone was getting rid of. I believe it's a 286 because of whats written on the motherboard. I cannot find anything about this thing anywhere. The only video output is a CGA out, which I bought an adapter for, but the adapter doesn't really work; so I haven't been able to test it. Although, it does seem to turn on and posts judging by the beeps. I've included some pictures of the computer, and the video card. If anyone knows anything about this thing, that would be cool. And if anyone knows a cost effective solution for converting it to VGA, like a compatible VGA card or something.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Almost any ISA VGA card should work in one of the 16-bit slots. One pulled from another working machine should at least give some indication of what else may be an issue with the machine (remove the CGA card first). There's probably several available on Ebay, at the usual over-inflated prices....
    Last edited by T-R-A; October 17th, 2019 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Generic clone motherboard in a generic clone 5710-type case. I've got one just like it without the badge.

You sure that's a video card? It has a DB25 and DB9 connector. Maybe a serial board?

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    You sure that's a video card? It has a DB25 and DB9 connector. Maybe a serial board?
    I do believe that it's a video card because there was a cable connected to the 9pin connector with the title "monitor" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    Almost any ISA VGA card should work in one of the 16-bit slots. One pulled from another working machine should at least some indication of what else may be an issue with the machine (remove the CGA card first). There's probably several available on Ebay, at the usual over-inflated prices....
    I'm not very familiar with hardware this old, should any ISA VGA card work?

Blog Entries

Almost certainly a monochrome (MDA) board. with parallel port. Note the 6116 SRAM (2Kx; so not even a Hercules graphics clone.

Very nice system. That is what we generally call a "no name clone". These would have been put together by small local companies or individuals, often in small numbers, usually with cheap generic Taiwanese parts, and were often customized to specific client's needs and budgets.

I can't quite make out all the detail, but I am fairly sure that video card is a Hercules Monographics clone card. That requires an IBM MDA/Hercules Mono compatible monitor. There is no great way to get those to work with later monitors.

Since this is a 286 system, any ISA VGA card should work fine, and would be quite appropriate in this system.

Edit: Chuck, I think I see a pair of blurry TMS4464 RAM chips on the side like many Herc clones, but now I am scratching my head a bit at that 6116. Alternate font support perhaps?
    Last edited by SomeGuy; October 17th, 2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Almost certainly a monochrome (MDA) board. with parallel port. Note the 6116 SRAM (2Kx; so not even a Hercules graphics clone.
    I disagree. A MDA card would need 80*25*2 = 4000 bytes or TWO 6116 SRAMs. And this RCA IC doesn't look like a SRAM to me.

Bottom-left the second and third IC above "MADE IN TAIWAN" you see two 18-pin ICs. That could be two 4464/41464 64K*4 DRAMs. This, in combination with the LPT port, makes it a MGP card for me (Monochrome Graphic Printer). Being NOT a CGA card, that could be the reason the adapter is not working.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Blog Entries

Probably correct it being a monochrome graphics card. My eyes aren't what they used to be when it comes to checking out blurry photos.