Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should I look for in an Ethernet card for an XT-class computer?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Ugh. The eBay going price for an AUI dongle seems to be in the $25+ shipped ballpark just by itself. When I think of how many of these I saw go in the trash...

Poking around it looks like the EtherExpress might be worth a shot? It's soft config but it looks like its setup can specifically can force operation in an 8-bit slot. The Vogons source does say it needs a third-party packet driver because the Intel one is 286+ only. (This one is standing out because it seems to be cheap/common and has an RJ-45 socket.)
    That driver should be on this forum somewhere. Bitty the search engine sucks.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

AUI adapters can be had for much less than $25 on eBay - I would keep looking.

I've gotten them as low as $2 each, although that is unusual. $10 + shipping would be a reasonable price, or just go for a card with proper twisted pair on the card.

I have a no-name Realtek 8019as installed on a 8088 xt clone The configuration program and packet driver work fine I also use it to hold a XUB + HD floppy PROM They are easy to find at very low cost

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I have some idea what to set up some eBay alerts for, or keep an eye out for if I get a chance to scavenge a sufficiently rusty junk pile. It'll be a little while before I'm in serious danger of finishing an ISA adapter for the EX but it'd be nice to have a card ready to go.

In the meantime I'm kind of intrigued by the PLIP idea, maybe I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Right after posting this I found a listing for a *tiny* RTL8019AS card with free shipping, so... we'll see how that works.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; October 19th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

Yeah, PLIP is significantly faster than SLIP (especially if you are stuck with an 8250 UART), even without a bidirectional parallel port. I haven't used it for years, but I remember it being "surprisingly speedy" (in 1990s terms).
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.
    Old Computer Fun! (Muh Projects Blahg) | Muh YouTube Channel that goes with it

Blog Entries

If you have parallel ports capable of bidirectional signalling (SPP/EPP/ECP) and you have the right cable and software, parallel transfers can really fly.

For PLIP, there is the "plipbox" project (http://lallafa.de/blog/amiga-projects/plipbox/).
    Otherwise, there are parallel network adapters as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    Yeah, PLIP is significantly faster than SLIP (especially if you are stuck with an 8250 UART), even without a bidirectional parallel port. I haven't used it for years, but I remember it being "surprisingly speedy" (in 1990s terms).
    On an XT, probably about 50-100KB/second, best case, slower than a 10BaseT, but not too bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    That driver should be on this forum somewhere. Bitty the search engine sucks.
    Google's works fine. Put this in google:

site:vcfed.org EXP8

...and you get http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...dapter-Drivers which has a link to ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Hard...LAN%20ADAPTER/
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    On an XT, probably about 50-100KB/second, best case, slower than a 10BaseT, but not too bad.
    The numbers from the Linux PLIP howto were quite a lot less optimistic, but still perhaps just good enough to still merit investigating. (If nothing else an option that works on a machine like these Tandys without standard slots *or* standard serial ports is still technically interesting.) All the Linux PLIP documentation that's easy to find dates from the late 90's to early 'aughts, it'll be interesting to see if it still works on a modern kernel.