Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What should I look for in an Ethernet card for an XT-class computer?

Bang your skull on the ground hard enough and you can move the Earth. Here it is, running on IRQ2 using the NE2000 driver.

20191114_183123.jpg

I did go back and double check if it would work with the non-patched NE2000 driver because I realized I made a pilot error with that. (I didn't put "0x" in front of the port number, that's why it detected the mac address as aa:aa...) Results were negative. But the patched one does indeed seem to work! If there were someplace to officially document this stuff it seems like we might have an official workaround for IRQ2 on this card.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    IRQ 0, 1 and 8 are immutable (0 = keyboard; 1 timer tick, 8 = RTC interrupt). The one that starts at 3 probably goes to 15. On a PC AT and above, IRQ 2 doesn't technically exist.
    In the case of the Tandy 1000 EX & HX, IRQ 5 is used for the V-sync circuit (for reasons), IRQ 6 is hard tied to the floppy, and IRQ 7 to the parallel port. Only IRQs 2,3 & 4 are actually routed to the expansion bus. Other 1000 models have IRQs 2-7 on the expansion bus, with dip switches to change stuff, but the EX & HX are pretty limited.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Just wanted to drop one more word of thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Knock-on-wood I feel like I've finally gotten most of the kinks worked out of my RTL8019AS card thanks to your input. Considering the incredibly oddball configuration of the machine it's in it seems to be working great, IRQ2 and all.

(I'm posting this because I just finished running a backup from the XT-CF in my Frankenstein "Tandy 1000 SUX" to a Debian laptop over WiFi using EtherDFS, and happened at a pretty-darn-reasonable speed. I can't help feeling like it's amazing that it works at all, let alone this well.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs