Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever had any issues with real bugs...? (Not software bugs, silly)

Default Ever had any issues with real bugs...? (Not software bugs, silly)

I found a tiny dead beetle in one of my main computers before but I never experienced anything happen to the computer when it was running, no bugs causing bugs, LOL. Just now I saw a tiny fly get close to my computer that's turned on and in use with the side panel off. I didn't see if the fly actually went into the computer, but again, nothing happened. I'm typing this on the same computer. I'm curious, what can a little bug potentially do to a PC? Short circuit it? Got any funny or strange stories to share?

Blog Entries

Years ago, I had a customer who'd retrieved a system that had sat for years in his attic loft. He powered it up, only to discover that it housed a nest of (what he believed) were brown recluse spiders. He was bitten several times and had to undergo lengthy and painful treatment for the venom.

Roaches infesting computers in storage are an all-too-common occurrence. I'm still waiting for someone to discover a nest of yellowjackets in their PC. I occasionally find a dead millipede in old equipment.

Consider yourself fortunate.

The term comes from the days when computers used higher voltages for logic. Bugs were a real problem, and really caused the kind of problems that we call computer bugs.

I've had mice cause this kind of problem in more modern computers.

Blog Entries

cf. the notebook of Grace Hopper.

When I was a field tech I saw many roach infested computers in bad parts of town and low income housing. Other than roaches the worst Id seen is industrial grease/dirt coating a computer to a pretty gross state. Or the lying customer who spilled sugary fluids into their laptop denying it.

dead house flies, spiders, or the lone beetle are common to most computers I'd assume.

Recently when I bought that pallet of apple II's from that poster in WI back in January.. I found many computers and monitors were infested with the carcasses of thousands of lady bugs (or lady birds as they are sometimes called)... which led to massive filth and rust. I mean thousands. From a crt monitor I pulled out a solid brick sized clump of dead ladybugs all stuck together. These were machines that hadn't been used since the mid 90's of course.

All in all, bug cleanup (other than roaches of course) is far less disgusting than rodent infestation.

Never had too much trouble with bugs, but mice will just freakin' ruin anything.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I had a mouse next in a Dell GX240 was work once.
    I seen a few june bugs here and there and spiders too. But I mostly deal with latter 90s and early 00s systems so i don't see bugs to often.

But I did have a disco vision player full of lady bugs. funny thing was that the ones closer to the laser had blue crust all over then. it looks like little balls of corrosion.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

I have an old ATX tower case (with no side panel), stuffed with disks running a software RAID NAS. My cat used to sleep in it when he was smaller, but now he's too fat.

Not really a bug thing, but I did have to vacuum the hair out of the heatsinks every now and then.
    -- Lee

May Be Interested In Acquiring: Mac IIsi, Quadra 840AV, Commodore PC(286+)/64C/128D, PC-era Tandy stuff, Peculiar Old Serial Terminals.
    Old Computer Fun! (Muh Projects Blahg) | Muh YouTube Channel that goes with it

9. Default

I heard a story of a spider that made its home in a CRT television, on the tube base board. In doing so, it managed to short the focus voltage to the cathode, destroying the tube - and itself.

Actually, now that I think of it, I did have to carefully chisel a disused mud-dauber nest out of the monitor housing of a PET I picked up...still haven't gotten that thing operational, but I think it's a logic-board issue rather than a CRT one.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup