Image Map Image Map

Thread: Rod Smallwood's PDP-8 panel reproductions?

Default Rod Smallwood's PDP-8 panel reproductions?

Are these still available? Have a PDP-8e coming but like most the panel no doubt suffers somewhat from ageing. I'd be interested to know folk's experience with the repro panels, particularly as to originality and quality. I understand they may need a tad of minor tinkering with the hole position for the rotary switch for example, that's no big deal. I hope they're as good as they sound and still around! If so does anyone have contact info? Thanks in advance!
    Roger in NY

I have to say I bought a pdp-8i panel from him. It is indeed most likely better than the original. I have no contact info for him but would
    assume he still will be selling these. Someone else should chime in with the info you need.

You can try rodsmallwood52@btinternet.com

I bought an 8/e front panel from him. It need a little adjusting to the power switch hole, but otherwise looked beautiful.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

I think mine came out pretty good as well. See here for a comparison: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/album.php...chmentid=30402

The original 8/e panel is on the bottom. It's a 1973 Pureto Rico build. Rod's reproduction is on top.

You'll see that I needed to add the hole for the register select knob and chamfer the power keyswitch hole. I believe Rod only made the version with the border around the knob. No big deal.

Lou

Don't forget that there are two versions of the 8/e front panel. Lou's is the early version where the rotary switch turns a full 180 degrees. Mine was the later version where the rotary switch only turns about 170 degrees.
    Member of the Rhode Island Computer Museum
    http://www.ricomputermuseum.org

Thanks for the info! Mine doesn't have the white line box around the knob. Rod had my version also so I ordered it.
    Lou, the original '73 panel on the bottom in the pic appears to have a much blacker background, while the one on top looks more gray, is that an artifact of the picture or the actual appearance?

Rod's panel is nice and dark, don't worry. It only looks grey in the photo because of the lighting. I had track floodlamps in the ceiling pointed at the rack and Rod's panel was tilted back at a slight angle.

Lou

Yes got it here now, it's beautiful, perfect really... job well done.

Mee tooo, what a nice job - absolutely perfect. I need to get a photo of it next to my real one.