Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ibm ps/1 help

Would this be in the bios config screen or is this in the "ps/1 fitness" section of os? Or better question would be how to get to cmos setup on this?

It must be ps/1 season - I just got one for free on CraigsList! Mine's a 2155-G44 with a 486sx at 20MHz.
    I've also been looking into upgrade options. On the board in my machine, I have the empty 487 socket, but the 486sx is also in a socket. There's also a jumper to select SX or DX processor. Would it be possible to just swap out the SX chip for a DX or DX2 rather than having to find a 487 or overdrive chip?
    Also, I don't see any obvious way to set clock speed on either the board itself or in BIOS. Are these boards configurable in some other way or is it stuck at 20MHz?

--Update--
    Got it working and all put together. Luckily IBM put a recover program inside the os that allowed me to make all new restore and software floppies. And I dont need to hunt for the 4quad screen since my model was the one that didnt have it.
    Found some more memory...guess it's picky and HAS to have parity ram so I got some ordered and coming . just the cpu upgrade stalling me. The 486sx is soldered but right next to it is a black or brown 169 pin socket, doesnt say over drive, nor does it say 487. From other models in the 2133/2155 says I can use a 33mhz dx or 50mhz dx but other sites say i have to use a 25mhz dx. So im lost there, hopefully someone knows the exact cpu I can use for this. Other than that. So much fun playing on an old dos/win3.1 pc

Quote Originally Posted by bubish View Post
    It must be ps/1 season - I just got one for free on CraigsList! Mine's a 2155-G44 with a 486sx at 20MHz.
    I've also been looking into upgrade options. On the board in my machine, I have the empty 487 socket, but the 486sx is also in a socket. There's also a jumper to select SX or DX processor. Would it be possible to just swap out the SX chip for a DX or DX2 rather than having to find a 487 or overdrive chip?
    Also, I don't see any obvious way to set clock speed on either the board itself or in BIOS. Are these boards configurable in some other way or is it stuck at 20MHz?
    I'd assume you could swap the sx for a dx. Mines soldered with a 169 pin socket nearby. From a hardware PDF I downloaded your model *should* be able to be pulled and a dx class dropped in and a jumper moved to be faster. And as far as ive found (which wasnt much), the 487 was just a 486sx 25mhz but with the coprocessor built in unlike the 486sx which didnt have it built in for cost measures. Mainly a marketing gimmick from what I was told. I think once you put in a new cpu, change jumper, and run the configuration settings it *should* adjust. Might be a good idea to Google and download the hardware PDF for the 2133 line. Has a lot of useful technical info for these.