Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

You wonít need to send init codes. The fact that the manual in/out tests work prove that the PROM monitor initialized the port. Iíll update PC2FLOP to allow use of port 6/7 for transfer and then you can try creating a disk. Iíll let you know when itís posted.

Mike

I've uploaded a new version of PC2FLOP that supports the port at I/O address 6/7 here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20controller/

Repeat the procedure you performed previously to load PC2FLOP.COM into your machine. Enter the bytes shown in LOADER.PRN starting at address zero using the monitor's "P"rogram command. You'll need to change I/O port address references from 4/5 to 6/7 (i.e., change 04 to 06, change 05 to 07).

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    I've uploaded a new version of PC2FLOP that supports the port at I/O address 6/7 here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20controller/

Repeat the procedure you performed previously to load PC2FLOP.COM into your machine. Enter the bytes shown in LOADER.PRN starting at address zero using the monitor's "P"rogram command. You'll need to change I/O port address references from 4/5 to 6/7 (i.e., change 04 to 06, change 05 to 07).

Mike
    Not sure if I've done something wrong or not.. After entering LOADER.PRN, I type G 0000 - nothing happens on the screen. In Teraterm I begin the transfer - about 75% of the way through sending the screen on the S100 goes to all block characters. After transfer, I do a reset, and a D 0100. It's filling with character '87' through about 0134, then seems like the rest of memory is filled with '97'.

Ah it appears I modified the LOADER.PRN incorrectly. It seems it is working correctly but I think I'm having a problem with my USB to Serial adapter, partway through sending the file the LED's stop blinking and basically hangs the PC. Going to try adjusting the baud rate etc.

Ok so I have managed to transfer the program, 9600 and 4800 baud both seem to be working very well. - I haven't reviewed the transfer byte for byte but it appears correct because I am to see the strings from the program as part of the memory dump. However when I attempt to run (G 0100) I just get this dump.

20200511_103033.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

In the dialog box that comes up in the terminal emulator when you send the file, make sure the "Binary" check box is selected.

Mike

Ah didn't even see that checkbox, that did it - the program is running! Will try creating a disc later today.

Thanks, this is really exciting to see it actually executing a program! I can't get the drive to seek on the first step. I entered 0 <ENTER>, and it'll just say "seek to track 0 failed" - I don't hear the drive spin up or anything. I tried 1-3 also, same results. I attached a picture of how the ribbon cable connects. I highlighted the arrow of the cable which is on the notched side of the edge connector. On the other end of the cable there is a plastic divider so it can only be plugged in one way. Do I have the cable attached the right way? I'm afraid to flip it in case that could cause problems. Or should I just try reversing it?
    20200511_141648.jpg 20200511_141700.jpg

EDIT: Also, here is a closeup of the FDC address jumpers in case that may be a problem.

20200511_143930(1).jpg
    Last edited by nullvalue; May 11th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Well after posting those pictures I noticed the edge connectors looked pretty dirty. I cleaned them up and retried the program. Now when I run the program and enter drive 0, I do hear the drive spin up! I have a brand new hard sectored disk in the drive. However it still gives me "seek to track 0 failed".

Send me a picture of the 4mhz jumper area shown here: https://deramp.com/downloads/vector_...%20Jumpers.jpg

What speed is your CPU running?

Mike