Image Map Image Map
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Unique S-100 computer (Z-80/Vector Graphic/Micropolis)

Quote Originally Posted by deramp5113 View Post
    From what I recall, you can get the measurements while it’s stuck in the loop trying to boot.

Mike
    I performed the Center Frequency Test (2.1.2) - it was pretty close, but made a minor tweak. Same for the 2us Single-Shot Test (2.1.3) - it was off by a little bit so I made an adjustment. I tested this during a boot attempt.

However, for the 1us Single-Shot Test (2.1.4), I am not seeing any activity on the scope for A14, pin 3. What do you think might cause that?

Tried writing another disk for the heck of it, same result.

Quote Originally Posted by nullvalue View Post
    However, for the 1us Single-Shot Test (2.1.4), I am not seeing any activity on the scope for A14, pin 3. What do you think might cause that?
    Looks like the pin number is wrong in that version of the manual. Look at pin 13, not 3.

Mike

Looks like the pin number is wrong in that version of the manual. Look at pin 13, not 3.

Mike
    Thanks, that was it! So I adjusted that one (I think it was pretty much dead on already)... tried creating a disk in both drives.. same result - "Write failure on track 0, sector 7"

Going through some of the other troubleshooting steps. I've verified voltages and the bootstrap prom checksum. Would it be possible for you to send me an MDOS disk with the "DIAG" command to carry out the rest of the read/write troubleshooting tasks? or is there anything else I could try?

Quote Originally Posted by nullvalue View Post
    Going through some of the other troubleshooting steps. I've verified voltages and the bootstrap prom checksum. Would it be possible for you to send me an MDOS disk with the "DIAG" command to carry out the rest of the read/write troubleshooting tasks? or is there anything else I could try?
    I'm sure these are discussed somewhere in the thread, but let's double check the following:

1) You're using hard sector disks with 16 hard sectors (not 10, not soft-sectored)
    2) The write protect notch is not covered.
    3) You're inserting the disk with the label side up (based on the picture I see of your drive)

Mike

I'm sure these are discussed somewhere in the thread, but let's double check the following:

1) You're using hard sector disks with 16 hard sectors (not 10, not soft-sectored)
    2) The write protect notch is not covered.
    3) You're inserting the disk with the label side up (based on the picture I see of your drive)

Mike
    1) Yep I purchased a box of these - fresh out of the shrink-wrapped box, I have tried 2 different disks from the box so far - https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Hard-Sec...72.m2749.l2649
    2) Write protect notch is not covered (and "File Protect" dot is not illuminated once disk is inserted)
    3) Yes I am inserting the disk label-side up (as I insert, the write protect notch is to the left)

With the adjustments made, is the behavior with PC2FLOP the same on both drives?

Mike

Yep I have tried both drives - the appropriate drive spins up like it's going to write (head locks down, hub spins), but both end up throwing the same error)

Read problems are more common than write problems because reading is a much more complex process than writing. Thatís why we checked reads first. Of course, you could just have a write problem, and since the most obvious read adjustments arenít helping, letís look at write issues next.

You can start by trying to test and troubleshoot the write paths, or I can send you some bootable disks. The good thing about starting by writing your own disks with PC2FLOP is you bypass drive alignment problems since youíre writing and reading with the same drive. But if you canít write your own disks and you need to use a disk written by someone elseís drive, now drive alignment becomes a new source of problems. It may be quicker to try and troubleshoot the write path and maybe something obvious will jump out.

Let me know which way you want to go.

Mike

That's fine with me trying to troubleshoot write operations - how would I test write paths?