Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    This changed for us a few years ago -- the HD voice when talking to family who are using devices and plans that support the standard is *way* better than land line quality. It's a combination of better microphones in the devices, and way higher sampling rates and bitrates used in the transport. It sounds substantially better than POTS land line.
    I have no complaints on my landline sound quality, aside from the occasional signal problems causing audio distortion. No big deal just call the person back. Simplicity is bliss. I am proud of the fact that I am nothing like my peers. I'm original. I am me.

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    I'm not saying that people need to upgrade because I said so or some corporation said so, I'm saying that if you want to "like" your nephew's wedding photos on Facebook you are going to have to use a modern enough system that can access Facebook, and that might mean a modern browser supporting modern ciphers. Today Win7 SP1 is good enough, but in a decade it might not be. If you're still using DOS or Windows 3.x it is unreasonable to require your nephew to render their photos into GIF format and send them to you on floppy diskettes because you refuse to upgrade.

It's not me forcing you to upgrade, or evil corporations. It's the mass of your friends, relatives, acquaintances, and strangers who have all agreed to upgrade already -- they are the ones who have left you behind and enabled developers to say "hardly anybody is using this old tech anymore; we can drop support for it." The only way to avoid upgrading when you want to still be able to interact with other people is to persuade all of them to also refuse to upgrade. And if you go down that path, then *you* will be the one making demands of what other people must do with their systems.

What someone uses their PC for is their own business, and as long as it stays that way they can upgrade or not as they see fit. But when they start using their PC to interact with other people, then there needs to be mutual agreement between sender and receiver about how that interaction is going to happen and it becomes the other party's business as well. If you want to share your photos in GIF format via FTP that's fine, but if the person you're sharing with doesn't know how and wants to use Facebook or Instagram or whatever the latest fad is instead, the two of you are going to either need to agree on a common platform, or agree that your photos (or whatever else) aren't worth the bother to share. And as much as we'd like to wish otherwise, that "common platform" for information sharing is going to increasingly require you to keep up with upgrades, or at least not fall too far behind.
    Sorry, but I couldn't resist asking: Does Win3.1 really have a limitation on image containers and it really HAS TO use the .gif format?

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    No offense, but why talk to people at all if you don't have the patience? It's really not that much effort. I don't understand this silly impatience that is often associated with millennials. Cell phones may have caused this insanity, but i'm not labeling you as anything or pointing fingers. Relax and enjoy life.

On a side note, I don't really like direct eye contact. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't see the necessity of it. Same with facing the person when talking.
    Moving slowly and waiting causes me a visceral discomfort. Slowing down would not make me enjoy life more, it would make me enjoy it less.

The main thing in ordinary activities that I derive pleasure from is the brief rush of completion. "The Journey" sucks and I don't like it. There is no "savoring" of mundane tasks, I just want that garbage over with.

I'm several years older than you FYI

Sorry, but I couldn't resist asking: Does Win3.1 really have a limitation on image containers and it really HAS TO use the .gif format?
    It doesn't have to be GIF format but I figured that would probably be the easiest option that was popular during the period when DOS, Windows 3.0, Windows 3.1, and Windows 3.11 were popular, and commonly enough seen that it would serve as an example that everyone reading this thread would be able to understand. It's all about finding the overlap between what formats the latest software can write, and what formats ancient systems can read. Without being so obscure that nobody understands what you're talking about.

Blog Entries

No offense, but why talk to people at all if you don't have the patience? It's really not that much effort. I don't understand this silly impatience that is often associated with millennials. Cell phones may have caused this insanity, but i'm not labeling you as anything or pointing fingers. Relax and enjoy life.

On a side note, I don't really like direct eye contact. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't see the necessity of it. Same with facing the person when talking.
    I like direct eye contact mostly because it is very easy to tell when people are lying to you. I do understand some people who are an introvert and socially anxious don't like eye contact or conversations in general.

Not facing a person you are talking to is just rude.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I like direct eye contact mostly because it is very easy to tell when people are lying to you.
    There are some expert liars out there - usually the types who are in sales, politics, legal and banking. Eye contact is not going to help you there - and the higher up you go, the more accomplished the liars.

What I hate about direct human interaction is that it always turns into a fight for supremacy. It's like birds determining the pecking order. It starts off very gradually, the opposing human looking for weakness and a chance to gain control. Then there are subtle attempts to show superiority. I refuse to accept that kind of crap, so I have to counter it. It's very tiring.

Email or online communication is much more relaxing, but has problems because I usually assume I'm talking to an equally intelligent, rational person - when it's rarely the case. I might assume I'm talking to a logical 50-ish scientist-type when actually I'm talking to a retarded 15-year-old brat who lives with his parents and failed physical education.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Amiga500 View Post

What I hate about direct human interaction is that it always turns into a fight for supremacy.
    Isn't that the point where an educated person's social skills are supposed to kick in? For example, extend a hand as opposed to 'oneupmanship'.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Isn't that the point where an educated person's social skills are supposed to kick in? For example, extend a hand as opposed to 'oneupmanship'.
    Yes, but you can only control your side of the equation there - and the kinds of people who are prone to playing alpha-monkey dominance games (this is, believe it or not, an entire thing for the types of people who like to believe they're "power players," like with books on the subject and everything) are frequently less likely to interpret a refusal to play along as a request to stop than as an indicator that they aren't coming on strong enough. I don't encounter that as much as Mr. Amiga seems to, but it totally is a thing and it's deeply exasperating and disturbing.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Yes, but you can only control your side of the equation there - and the kinds of people who are prone to playing alpha-monkey dominance games (this is, believe it or not, an entire thing for the types of people who like to believe they're "power players," like with books on the subject and everything) are frequently less likely to interpret a refusal to play along as a request to stop than as an indicator that they aren't coming on strong enough. I don't encounter that as much as Mr. Amiga seems to, but it totally is a thing and it's deeply exasperating and disturbing.
    Well, Mr. Amiga says "What I hate about direct human interaction is that it always turns into a fight for supremacy". That's not true for me or most of the people I know. In other words, I don't believe that you can walk around in life confrontationally, with a chip on your shoulder, and not expect to get your butt kicked (extreme example here). Humans are considered to be on a higher plane as opposed to a couple of dogs facing off over a bone. Most normal people can figure out when they are up against a stressful situation and simply move on. There are times, I suppose, that the 'stand your ground' mentality kicks-in and one is more or less forced to become defensive. Maybe certain individuals who have problems communicating face-to-face should consider taking a 'Dale Carnegie' course in public relations.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Well, Mr. Amiga will have to speak for his own specific circumstances, but the point I was trying to make is that yes, we as humans have the capacity to choose not to be aggressive jackasses - but you can only decide you aren't going to do that, and there are certain types of people out there for whom you choosing not to engage them in their weird little headgames is, if anything, just an invitation to ramp them up further. Even if you aren't intimidated/cowed by this the way they intend you to be, that kind of thing is deeply aggravating and tiring to deal with, to the point where you might reasonably decide that you don't want to interact with them at all if you can help it.

Now, I wouldn't say from my own experience that all face-to-face interaction ends up this way, but then I don't live where he does or around the kind of people he finds himself crossing paths with, so who knows...?
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup