Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

Default Do we really need to upgrade?

Anyone else here obsessed with the past to the point they avoid most modern tech and fashions? Am I alone in this? (Other than that one guy on a Youtube video who lives in the 1940's)

Im not as far into that as some might think but typically I like that I look like an 80s rocker using 80s/90s tech and prefers vehicles from 1965-1995.

That said, I still live in the present pretty much. I just enjoy pushing the past to deal with today....something I have a weird knack for

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Anyone else here obsessed with the past to the point they avoid most modern tech and fashions? Am I alone in this? (Other than that one guy on a Youtube video who lives in the 1940's)
    I work in technology, but I avoid all technology fads.. For instance My home has cat5e in every room with 2 wireless repeaters. Modernish right? But all our computers are windows 7 64.. They are for the most part HP business class machines from 2011.. They run beautifully as we finally got rid of Firefox for smaller community driven Browsers.. I dont plan to upgrade to windows past version 7 since they are so godawful,, Just going to run Linux on everything at that point.

I hate smart phones; I am putting serious thought into getting a candybar button phone and thats it. I am sick of Text messages. If you need me call me or email me. Text messages are pointless half thoughts with bad grammar.

Fashion? I'm stuck in my high school years... The Fonze dressed cool, that's good enough for me.

I see a lot of guys dressing pretty androgynous with skin tight pants and I don't get it.. They all have mediocre bodies. I know skintight jeans were in in the 80's but you had to be able to at least pull them off.. Everyone looks like Danny Devito in skinny pants in my opinion. (reminiscent of his portrayal of the penguin)

Thats my annual rant.

Blog Entries

Uh, no. If I was going to live in the style of my youth, I would be wearing a mini-skirt and no one wants that.

Blog Entries

I don't avoid new tech, I just don't bother being bleeding edge since I see no point in it. Most of the games I play are ancient so I don't have a modern gaming computer. My main machine is a pretty old system but works just fine. I have a smartphone but nothing too new or pricey because I don't need it. My internet is fairly speedy.

Never cared for fashion much so I was never trendy in that at all. My cars are driven until they blow up which is taking longer then it used to.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I don't avoid new tech, I just don't bother being bleeding edge since I see no point in it. Most of the games I play are ancient so I don't have a modern gaming computer. My main machine is a pretty old system but works just fine. I have a smartphone but nothing too new or pricey because I don't need it. My internet is fairly speedy.

Never cared for fashion much so I was never trendy in that at all. My cars are driven until they blow up which is taking longer then it used to.
    ^ This. I have no problem availing myself of the nicer things that modernity offers; I just have zero need to keep up with the Joneses when simpler solutions work just fine.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I tend to go with what works. I have both new and old tech and tools that I use every day. Plus a bit of older stuff in a collection for play. Don't care about Joneses.

Some people seem to think I'm obsessed with the past, but that is not at all correct. I'm obsessed with things that WORK and WORK WELL. Which most "modern" stuff does not.

I don't see the point in buying a "phone" that I have to replace every couple of years, with some non-replaceable battery, and audio quality that makes everyone sound like a robot trying to rape my ear. My ~1990 Unisonic desk phone (or "landline" as the kids like to call it) very well may live longer than me, does not require consuming additional natural resources, and I can actually HEAR people clearly when someone calls me on a proper phone.

I also don't see the point in "texting" since it is more or less a proprietary cell-phone specific service. In contrast, almost any device can send/receive an e-mail. Don't some cell providers charge for texting? It seems like they nickel and dime people just for breathing. I also don't like being interrupted for stupid stuff every five minutes. Send me an e-mail and I'll read it exactly whenever. Problem is, people are so brainwashed these days that they expect EVERYONE to have a "smart phone", and the latest at that.

I don't really care about fashion, but I am sick of how many clothes items these days are made of this thin plastic-ish material. It is very hard to find quality stuff that fits.

I'm fine with how much energy LED lights can save, and they last longer and don't crap out in the cold. But the light most put off is too close to sunlight, and too bluish. I want to murder idiots who have blue-ish LED headlights, very obnoxious and makes it hard to see. Do it right, and I'm all for it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I work in technology, but I avoid all technology fads.. For instance My home has cat5e in every room with 2 wireless repeaters. Modernish right? But all our computers are windows 7 64.. They are for the most part HP business class machines from 2011.. They run beautifully as we finally got rid of Firefox for smaller community driven Browsers.. I dont plan to upgrade to windows past version 7 since they are so godawful,, Just going to run Linux on everything at that point.

I hate smart phones; I am putting serious thought into getting a candybar button phone and thats it. I am sick of Text messages. If you need me call me or email me. Text messages are pointless half thoughts with bad grammar.

Fashion? I'm stuck in my high school years... The Fonze dressed cool, that's good enough for me.

I see a lot of guys dressing pretty androgynous with skin tight pants and I don't get it.. They all have mediocre bodies. I know skintight jeans were in in the 80's but you had to be able to at least pull them off.. Everyone looks like Danny Devito in skinny pants in my opinion. (reminiscent of his portrayal of the penguin)

Thats my annual rant.
    I don't understand your beef with W10. I have a Gigabyte MA790FX-UD5P which is now over 10 years old with a AMD AM3 955, 8 GB of memory, and it runs W10 like it was meant for it. I browse on it with Chrome and it runs all of my games. That board has in the past run DOS, XP, W7, W8, and W8.1 and there was never a problem with any of it. Storage is so cheap these days that the 'boated' file thing is no longer a valid argument. You could have bought W8 for just a few bucks and then had W10 for free. I think most of the complaints about W10 boil down to people not wanting to cough-up a few extra bucks for the product. Heck, I bought a W10 set back in the summer for about $50 from a legal wholesaler down Texas. Good luck with the Linux thing. You may swear by it but I'm willing to be those close to you will have something to say.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

I have the last Gigabyte AM3+ motherboard made that was supported by W10 and while W10 runs great on it the built in 5.1 audio only played back in stereo (a bug that works fine in Windows 7).
    GA-970A-DS3P-FX Rev 2.1
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems