Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I don't know about that. I had to take my car in for some service and the place I took it kept badgering me about giving them a "cell phone" number just so they could "text" me some stupid notification when they were finished. As if it were impossible just to call me and say they were done. I guess they get paid to sell cell phones. This world makes me sick.
    Their software is probable set up to send the text, no human is involved.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

the place I took it kept badgering me about giving them a "cell phone" number just so they could "text" me some stupid notification when they were finished. As if it were impossible just to call me and say they were done. I guess they get paid to sell cell phones. This world makes me sick.
    haha, i think this might be preference, i hate talking on the phone, so this would be absolutely preferred to me. Mind you, I sit on phone calls for work a lot where people spend 30 mins to an hour just talking about something i feel could be done via an email (or not at all)

Also, i think the fact that the current world makes you sick because it's not the way it was when you grew up might be a little close minded. (which i do get happens when we get older). I grew up with people who feel that way about all technology and avoided computers and the internet completely. Kids should be out playing in the street, not holed up in their house playing summer games on their c64 or watching threes company (okay, they were probably right about that last one.. haha).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Also, i think the fact that the current world makes you sick because it's not the way it was when you grew up might be a little close minded. (which i do get happens when we get older).
    Except it's being really blithe and a bit intellectually dishonest to treat this discussion as being completely and only a gripe about "these kids today...!" when multiple people have laid out very specific practical grounds for complaint on a variety of these issues.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Also, i think the fact that the current world makes you sick because it's not the way it was when you grew up might be a little close minded. (which i do get happens when we get older). I grew up with people who feel that way about all technology and avoided computers and the internet completely. Kids should be out playing in the street, not holed up in their house playing summer games on their c64 or watching threes company (okay, they were probably right about that last one.. haha).
    To some extent, sure. But as I tell some "kids these days", when they are old and gray they will be clutching their "old obsolete" and heavily marketing-stigmatized cell phones for dear life to avoid getting a hole drilled in to their heads for the latest and greatest Borg implants. Which everyone else will be happily doing.

What gets me is when people insist that there must always be only One True Way to do something.

I prefer my so-called "land line" because when people call from a proper phone, I can actually HEAR them and they do not sound like a robot trying to molest my ear. I don't have to sit outside like my neighbors to get a good signal or avoid dropout. I don't have to waste $$$ every few years constantly replacing things. I don't have to worry about being spied on (much), hacked, or constant UI changes. I do not want to be bombarded with real-time notifications or obligated to do so.

But somehow, wanting something that WORKS is looked down upon.

haha, i think this might be preference, i hate talking on the phone, so this would be absolutely preferred to me. Mind you, I sit on phone calls for work a lot where people spend 30 mins to an hour just talking about something i feel could be done via an email (or not at all)

Hey! I still watch Three's Company. It comes on right after WKRP in Cincinnati and before Magnum P.I. - on my own personal TV station, a digital player hooked up to an agile modulator. I don't have to be holed up in the house - I can watch it outside on my 1978 JVC portable TV. While I'm outside, I can tell those damn kids to get off my lawn!

To some extent, sure. But as I tell some "kids these days", when they are old and gray they will be clutching their "old obsolete" and heavily marketing-stigmatized cell phones for dear life to avoid getting a hole drilled in to their heads for the latest and greatest Borg implants. Which everyone else will be happily doing.

What gets me is when people insist that there must always be only One True Way to do something.

I prefer my so-called "land line" because when people call from a proper phone, I can actually HEAR them and they do not sound like a robot trying to molest my ear. I don't have to sit outside like my neighbors to get a good signal or avoid dropout. I don't have to waste $$$ every few years constantly replacing things. I don't have to worry about being spied on (much), hacked, or constant UI changes. I do not want to be bombarded with real-time notifications or obligated to do so.

But somehow, wanting something that WORKS is looked down upon.
    Hey, I have two land lines.

73012014_2461996403888359_5320215228376416256_n.jpg
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I prefer texting because I simply do not like talking on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by maxtherabbit View Post
    I prefer texting because I simply do not like talking on the phone
    Ya', it's probably second only to direct eye contact for those with low confidence.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Ya', it's probably second only to direct eye contact for those with low confidence.
    I love direct eye contact, I hate the phone because I don't have the patience to listen to you speak

Blog Entries

I can actually HEAR them and they do not sound like a robot trying to molest my ear.
    This changed for us a few years ago -- the HD voice when talking to family who are using devices and plans that support the standard is *way* better than land line quality. It's a combination of better microphones in the devices, and way higher sampling rates and bitrates used in the transport. It sounds substantially better than POTS land line.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)