Image Map Image Map
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    What about Mint? I'm thinking of giving that a try.
    Mint is just another (debian-based) Linux. It's okay--and I've used it, but found nothing sufficiently different to warrant changing from Xubuntu.

OpenBSD is not Linux, but rather an offshoot of 386BSD, which, in turn is based on the old Berkeley Software Distribution flavor of Unix (the one that Next and Apple used as their base). It is quite different internally from Linux and predates it.

It's a bit of the mess known as "Unix licensing".

As far as portability, it's pretty hard to beat NetBSD:

As the project's motto ("Of course it runs NetBSD" ) suggests, NetBSD has been ported to a large number of 32- and 64-bit architectures. These range from VAX minicomputers to Pocket PC PDAs. As of 2009, NetBSD supports 57 hardware platforms (across 15 different instruction sets). The kernel and userland for these platforms are all built from a central unified source-code tree managed by CVS. Currently, unlike other kernels such as μClinux, the NetBSD kernel requires the presence of an MMU in any given target architecture.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); November 3rd, 2019 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Last experience I had with it was MintPPC on a Powerbook G4 years ago, but like most Debian spinoffs, it's a nice blend of friendly-and-accessible without being too overfeatured and bogged down with glitzy gunk (lookin' at you, Ubuntu.) You could do a lot worse for a starting experience than Mint with XFCE or MATE as a desktop environment.
    Sounds good to me. I think I'll go with MATE. Cinnamon sounds like a little more than I need or am ready for.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sounds good to me. I think I'll go with MATE. Cinnamon sounds like a little more than I need or am ready for.
    I have MINT up and running on my new Asus X570 gamer and am still tweaking. Haven't got around to the bigger games yet for a full eval. I know squat about the system but am willing to learn.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I have MINT up and running on my new Asus X570 gamer and am still tweaking. Haven't got around to the bigger games yet for a full eval. I know squat about the system but am willing to learn.
    Great!!! Let's get on Facebook Portal and collaborate.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

How about after football Sunday?

How about during?

Blog Entries

If you just want to goof around with older hardware, DSL can run on just about anything 486 or later off the distro CD with minimal resource consumption.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you just want to goof around with older hardware, DSL can run on just about anything 486 or later off the distro CD with minimal resource consumption.
    MINT is co-booting with W10 and I was kind of suprised that it installed with no hiccups and even setup the latest Nvidia 1080 drivers. I had Ubuntu up and running about a year and a half ago and I didn't care for it - don't remember why but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with gaming and drivers. I'll see how it goes with some high-end game benchmarking. Icons on the desktop and the fonts are kind of small - need to tweak that first thing as I don't like to wear glasses around my PC's. I'll give it 4 stars right now for just installing without breaking anything.

Blog Entries

I don't care for Ubuntu's default desktop, which is why I use the XFCE4 Xubuntu variant. Under it all, it's the Debian kernel for nearly every Linux out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    As I said previously, I think IBM bought it to park it.
    Well, I don't know about that; RHEL isn't the only product in Red Hat's stable.

You must agree that there are plenty of free Linux distros out there.
    As the saying goes, buckets and loads, bushels and pecks....and Linux isn't the only un*x in town anyway. My next choice would likely be OpenBSD. I've used more than one Linux distribution; I've even done the LFS and stage 1 Gentoo dances, but since I started out with Red Hat Linux in 1997 (I did play around with Soft Landing Systems' distribution back in like 93 or so, but since I had a 3b1 running SVR2 a PC wasn't on my list of things to try to get) I tend to prefer that type of system.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"