Image Map Image Map
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I still do most of my soldering with spools of lead solder. Will the fumes get me down the road? Well if those dont something else will.
    No lead doesn't vaporize at soldering temperatures. The flux fumes are probably bad for you though. Either that or they will give you super powers idk

Blog Entries

Rosin-core solder is dangerous? I've been known to make my own flux by dissolving small leftover bits of bass (double-bass) rosin in alcohol. Works pretty well.

Lead dust is dangerous if inhaled and you're just a few years old... Or if you eat it.

Not much concern for most people. But like mercury, Freon, and now carbon dioxide (I used to tell people this day was coming and I'd get laughed at), people seem to just need things to worry about.

To the original post: I only upgrade if I need to. I'm not interested in most modern technologies. I mean this is literally my cell phone: https://i.imgur.com/usuFG6P.jpg
    It still has service for now (and T-Mobile's network has decided to delay turning off 2G until further notice now it seems, so it's not 2020). I have no need for a smart phone, I keep a dedicated GPS if I need to GPS stuff, etc.

The newest desktop computer I have is a 2008 Mac Pro prototype when I worked at Apple, it runs Windows 10 these days with a more modern GPU as I only needed to upgrade the GPU for video games. Everything else still works.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Lead dust is dangerous if inhaled and you're just a few years old... Or if you eat it.

Not much concern for most people. But like mercury, Freon, and now carbon dioxide (I used to tell people this day was coming and I'd get laughed at), people seem to just need things to worry about.
    Mercury story: Back in the 50's when I was in a Detroit high school, every student had a city bus card which entitled you to ride anywhere in the city during school hours for 10. One of our last classes for the day was lab biology, and at the rear of the lab were 2 barometric devices, full of mercury. If you rubbed a copper penny with the mercury you had an instant dime. The bus drivers never seemed to have caught on. Dangerous yes. Stupid yes. But, as a 14 year old, you were some of the smartest and most fearless people around. Eventually, a trip to the counselor's was involved. Also, and somewhat safer, if you pealed the foil off of a chewing gum wrapper and carefully pressed it on the penny, you had a fairly good substitute dime; note that I stopped short of counterfeit. How about illegally disguised currency?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I cant top your story agent orange.. But when i was in NAVY A school there were these particular refrigerated carousel vending machines. Some of the compartments were double wide. If you would turn the machine so you were halfway into the doublewide compartment you could use a pair of tongs or a coat hanger and pretty much empty out about 8 or 9 compartments. Did it for the bragging rights and always gave most of it to onlookers. They used to punish us by making us do trivial tasks during mess hours so I have zero guilt about it. I always find unbeknownst exploits interesting.

I bought my son a new iphone a year ago or so. It lasted about 6 months and since I got a good deal on it, it had been sitting around for a few years new on a shelf. It started getting hot and apparently cooked itself. At least it was under warranty and replaced at no charge. Research tin whiskers for lead free solder a bit and you can see why military and aerospace were exempted from having to adopt the "safety" of using lead free solder..... Things made now will not last like things made then.

Weird thing is, I can't even think of a reason why I should ever get a smart phone. I'd happily get one if I had some need that justified the expense (including having to replace it every couple years due to artificial obsolescence.) I have zero interest in any kind of instant notifications or anything like that. Most of the "needs" people claim for cell phones are artificial - many could and should be possible on a desktop PC, or they are just mindless crap like taking photos of everything and then stuffing them in other peoples face. When I mention I don't have one, people don't seem to realize that is possible. Mind boggling stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    One of our last classes for the day was lab biology, and at the rear of the lab were 2 barometric devices, full of mercury.
    I still have a one pound jar of mercury that I got back way back when I worked for the National Weather Service in Washington, DC.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

You could gargle it and then flush a toilet with it like Cody's Lab.