Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we really need to upgrade?

I feel like this thread should be retitled 'Get off my lawn!'.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Let's leave the Windows debate out of this thread and focus on the OP's question please.
    I think the reason Windows came up is because it is a prime example of some people thinking that updating is necessary while other feel it should be avoided. But lets use a historical example: when PC DOS 4 was new virtually no one felt that was a worthwhile update, most people stayed with DOS 3.x so that is a good example of why you should not upgrade just because there's a new version of something - what if the new version is buggy, slower and more bloated ? Also if an new version only has features which you don't need or use then there is no point of upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    As for fads, it's best to avoid them as much as possible. Personally I avoid Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and the like as they're largely pointless tripe. Ditto for smartphones, phones zombies annoy me to no end.
    I agree with what both you and kgober stated, and i think you're both saying the same thing. I don't necessarily agree with this last statement though, but I feel like it was more a rant than anything so I get it in that context. Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. aren't really fad's, per se, they are just the current medium for the same stuff that's always existed.. either in newspapers, magazines, the local water cooler, town hall meetings, etc. The medium might be a fad (if you can call the internet a fad, or newspapers a fad, or the 'national enquirer', etc), but that's the extent of it.

Similarly, smartphones aren't a fad any more then desktops, laptops, mainframes and such are fads. They are the same computers we've used since computers have existed, just in a different form factor. The difference is instead of being holed up in your room being antisocial, now you can be out in public and be antisocial.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, TRS-80 Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I do agree that it's more difficult to just grab a phone number for free and start texting, but phone numbers have always been a paid service (both land lines and cell phones).
    Not really... Google Voice and TextNow both give you a unique phone number with free voice calls and free SMS.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    Yes, things get complicated. But my point (again) is that the underlying technologies are simpler and (largely) provider-agnostic; I do need to use a mail provider that keeps its certificates up-to-date, but I don't need to worry about what provider the recipient is using. With SMS, on the other hand, if I want to send messages from any device other than a cell phone, I need to either A. know what provider the recipient has (a non-trivial task requiring the use of a third-party service, although there are at least free ones,) so that I can use their own proprietary e-mail-to-SMS relay address, or B. pay some third-party service to handle it for me. (Or C. install my provider's proprietary desktop messaging application, if they even provide one.) There's no plan-and-simple way to just send SMS messages from a device other than my cell phone.
    Who here remembers the days when there were multiple incompatible email networks, and sometimes in order to send an email you'd have to do things like address it to "ihnp4!hosta!hostb!user%host1@host2.ARPA" (and this example only involves traversing two networks, you also had networks like CS-NET, BITNET, etc.)

Indeed - but by '92-'93, that was a solved problem.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by kgober View Post
    Who here remembers the days when there were multiple incompatible email networks, and sometimes in order to send an email you'd have to do things like address it to "ihnp4!hosta!hostb!user%host1@host2.ARPA" (and this example only involves traversing two networks, you also had networks like CS-NET, BITNET, etc.)
    I remember BITNET on VM/SP back in the late 80s, heck I had a part-time job as a VM programmer at CUNY UCC where BITNET originated. I didn't have to send emails to other incompatible systems but I did send mail to other VM systems via RSCS. I definitely remember VM status messages of the form: PUN FILE TO NETWORK COPY 001 NOHOLD when sending e-mails or files to other users.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not really... Google Voice and TextNow both give you a unique phone number with free voice calls and free SMS.
    It's been so long since I got my google voice number (grandcentral), but I thought you had to have a phone number to get/use it. Though, now that I think about it, maybe not since I remember it working with voip with hangouts. That said, I don't know about textnow, but some services do not work with google voice numbers and some specifically block them (like telegram). You also can't reliably be sure sites that do 2-factor or login codes to SMS will work either. It's somewhat annoying actually because there are times I need to look up my 'real' phone number so i can use it for those few places.
    -- Brian

It's been so long since I got my google voice number (grandcentral), but I thought you had to have a phone number to get/use it. Though, now that I think about it, maybe not since I remember it working with voip with hangouts. That said, I don't know about textnow, but some services do not work with google voice numbers and some specifically block them (like telegram). You also can't reliably be sure sites that do 2-factor or login codes to SMS will work either. It's somewhat annoying actually because there are times I need to look up my 'real' phone number so i can use it for those few places.
    You do. You have to have a valid working number through an accepted major carrier in order to sign up for Google Voice. And it has to be a number that no one else has ever given to Google.

Similarly, smartphones aren't a fad any more then desktops, laptops, mainframes and such are fads. They are the same computers we've used since computers have existed, just in a different form factor. The difference is instead of being holed up in your room being antisocial, now you can be out in public and be antisocial.
    I don't know about that. I had to take my car in for some service and the place I took it kept badgering me about giving them a "cell phone" number just so they could "text" me some stupid notification when they were finished. As if it were impossible just to call me and say they were done. I guess they get paid to sell cell phones. This world makes me sick.