Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: ISA Novell network card - I can't for the life of mine determine it.

  1. #1

    Default ISA Novell network card - I can't for the life of mine determine it.

    Here is a photo of this Novell network card. I don't see anything akin to "NE" anywhere in the silkscreen text. Can anyone of you recognize it?Attachment 56927

    Here is a higher resolution version of the same image: https://i.postimg.cc/nrZWbtQ4/Novell-NIC.jpg

  2. #2

    Default

    Well, it says DP8390CN, which (or a compatible implementation) is the heart of any NE2000-compatible network card.

    This chip only contains the MAC part of the ethernet device. The remaining logic provides the ISA interface on one side, and the PHY interface to the actual wire. But it is the one a software driver needs to talk to - so this one makes the card "NE2000-compatible".

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    Well, it says DP8390CN, which (or a compatible implementation) is the heart of any NE2000-compatible network card.

    This chip only contains the MAC part of the ethernet device. The remaining logic provides the ISA interface on one side, and the PHY interface to the actual wire. But it is the one a software driver needs to talk to - so this one makes the card "NE2000-compatible".
    I didn't know that - you definitely taught me something new about that chip, DP8390CN. Thank you, good sir. Tack!

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Fartalot View Post
    Here is a photo of this Novell network card. I don't see anything akin to "NE" anywhere in the silkscreen text. Can anyone of you recognize it?Attachment 56927

    Here is a higher resolution version of the same image: https://i.postimg.cc/nrZWbtQ4/Novell-NIC.jpg
    Looks like something bad happened to my attachment. For documentation purposes (so people can derive some benefit from this thread) I'll try to re-attach the photo of my card. Novell-NIC.jpg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    542

    Default

    It looks very familiar. I think I may have a box full of those cards that somebody gave me. Good to know what they are.

  6. #6

    Default

    Incidentally, does this particular NE2000 reincarnation have some special driver disk/setup disk that I could download?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    4,750

    Default

    No setup disk, it's a jumper-type card, not PnP/jumperless. The usual NE2000 drivers should all work fine. If this isn't an actual Novell/Eagle card it's just someone else running their layout (iirc the design was basically open source). The board/assembly number on the top edge will tell you which revision, I believe the two most popular ones are on TH99. You can find a webified version from stason.org.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    At least one Novell nic has an 80188/80186. Is there any special significance to such a card?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,055
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    FWIW, I've got a couple of Artisoft AE-2/T cards that I use--while there are Artisoft drivers for them, a bog-standard NE2000 driver works just fine. Mine is like the OPs--no EEPROM configuration, just jumpers.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    33,055
    Blog Entries
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    At least one Novell nic has an 80188/80186. Is there any special significance to such a card?
    I wonder if what you have is the NDS Elite card: Description here

    So not a 10Mbps Ethernet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •