Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISA Novell network card - I can't for the life of mine determine it.

Default ISA Novell network card - I can't for the life of mine determine it.

Here is a photo of this Novell network card. I don't see anything akin to "NE" anywhere in the silkscreen text. Can anyone of you recognize it?Attachment 56927

Here is a higher resolution version of the same image: https://i.postimg.cc/nrZWbtQ4/Novell-NIC.jpg

Well, it says DP8390CN, which (or a compatible implementation) is the heart of any NE2000-compatible network card.

This chip only contains the MAC part of the ethernet device. The remaining logic provides the ISA interface on one side, and the PHY interface to the actual wire. But it is the one a software driver needs to talk to - so this one makes the card "NE2000-compatible".

Quote Originally Posted by Svenska View Post
    Well, it says DP8390CN, which (or a compatible implementation) is the heart of any NE2000-compatible network card.

This chip only contains the MAC part of the ethernet device. The remaining logic provides the ISA interface on one side, and the PHY interface to the actual wire. But it is the one a software driver needs to talk to - so this one makes the card "NE2000-compatible".
    I didn't know that - you definitely taught me something new about that chip, DP8390CN. Thank you, good sir. Tack!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Fartalot View Post
    Here is a photo of this Novell network card. I don't see anything akin to "NE" anywhere in the silkscreen text. Can anyone of you recognize it?Attachment 56927

Here is a higher resolution version of the same image: https://i.postimg.cc/nrZWbtQ4/Novell-NIC.jpg
    Looks like something bad happened to my attachment. For documentation purposes (so people can derive some benefit from this thread) I'll try to re-attach the photo of my card. Novell-NIC.jpg

It looks very familiar. I think I may have a box full of those cards that somebody gave me. Good to know what they are.

Incidentally, does this particular NE2000 reincarnation have some special driver disk/setup disk that I could download?

No setup disk, it's a jumper-type card, not PnP/jumperless. The usual NE2000 drivers should all work fine. If this isn't an actual Novell/Eagle card it's just someone else running their layout (iirc the design was basically open source). The board/assembly number on the top edge will tell you which revision, I believe the two most popular ones are on TH99. You can find a webified version from stason.org.

Principality of Xeon the Great State of Central New Jerky

At least one Novell nic has an 80188/80186. Is there any special significance to such a card?

Blog Entries

FWIW, I've got a couple of Artisoft AE-2/T cards that I use--while there are Artisoft drivers for them, a bog-standard NE2000 driver works just fine. Mine is like the OPs--no EEPROM configuration, just jumpers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    At least one Novell nic has an 80188/80186. Is there any special significance to such a card?
    I wonder if what you have is the NDS Elite card: Description here

So not a 10Mbps Ethernet.