Image Map Image Map

Thread: Compaq Armada E500 PP2060 Contrast key?

Default Compaq Armada E500 PP2060 Contrast key?

Thanks everyone for the help with the video driver.

I do have one other small issue.

The contrast control, FN+F9 does not work, FN+F10 for brightness does work just fine.

I have tried the following softpaqs for the "Compaq Hotkey Support":

-SP17149
    -Sp18569
    -SP22442

For all of these the brightness works, but not the contrast, all other functions seem to work too.

I know my F9 key itself works, as the "f9 key" on the on-screen keyboard does light up whenever I hit the real key.

So this has to be another software issue, though I have already tried a few different drivers, but nothing, and 2 of those drivers (the first two) were ones that are for all e500 models, according to an archive of the compaq website from back when.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Those controls are there for machines equipped with a passive-matrix display. They are essentially disabled on machines with active-matrix displays, as they aren’t really necessary. It was just easier for them to do that, rather than make a whole new keyboard for each machine.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

ah that makes sense.

Weirdly 1024x768 is the native resolution, but it looks much sharper at higher resolutions which also work, but the issue with using higher resolutions is more fits on the screen but everything is smaller, a little to small for my liking.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Yours probably has the 1400 x 1050 screen then, as that was an option for the E500, and I’ve never seen an LCD that can go above its native resolution.

Al right, interesting, thanks for this information.

yeah, it looks perfect in 1400 x 1050. Interesting that a laptop from that time could do that resolution for sure.

Guess I'll have to get used to it, lol.

Edit: yes it can go up to 1600 x 1200, buy a lot is cut off at the sides, 1400 x 1050 is the highest without anything being cut off, and it looks amazing, just kind of small. I tried 1280 x 1024 but that results in black bars on the side (unused screens pace on each side).
    Last edited by ScanDisk; October 29th, 2019 at 03:59 PM.

You’re welcome! My Dell Inspiron 8000 series laptops, and my Dell Precision M50 have a native resolution of 1600 x 1200, and it looks amazing. 1400 x 1050 is really good too.

do you think I could maybe try drivers from a model which has a passive-matrix display, and see if it'll work?

I'd prefer to use 1024x768, but I'd like to adjust the contrast to make the image sharper in that case.

It doesn’t have anything to do with the drivers, it has to do with the bios and the type of display it sees. Even if you could adjust it, it wouldn’t really do much in the way of making the screen sharper.

There is really no way to adjust the sharpness of an LCD.

Seems I'll have to just get used to the higher resolution then.

I'm just 24, it is usable but makes things small enough to have to look closely to see. I guess looking at screens all my life, has affected even my young eyes.

However my main computer uses an 24" HD LCD TV as a monitor in 1920x1080 and it looks fine to me, and nowhere near as small as 1400x1050 looks on the armada. I guess it has to do with the screen size as well.