Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open source flux reader/writer running on $2 bluepill board

Default Open source flux reader/writer running on $2 bluepill board

I'm sure a fair few are aware of FlashFloppy, the open source firmware for the gotek floppy emulator. Its creator Kier Fraser has pushed out Greaseweazle, which is a flux reader/writer running g on the super-cheap bluepill stm32 board!

It reads/writes supercard pro format files at the moment, but you can use things like the open source HxC floppy emulator software to bodge that into other formats.

Available here: https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/wiki

Two bucks vs 100 for a scp or even more for a kryoflux

d.

Blog Entries

What I've been saying for years--most any inexpensive capable MCU can do the work of a kyroflux.

I use the STM32F407 boards for a lot of things--only about $10 and that includes a fast CPU (with floating point, 192K of SRAM, and 40-some 5V-tolerant GPIOs), battery-backed RTC, external flash, LCD interface and a header for a WiFi module.

Aye. They are really impressively featured uCs. It just took someone getting around to doing it. There is now a complete open source archive->emulation chain, with consequently really excellent support.

Blog Entries

Years ago, I posted about using an AVR ATMega256 as a kyrofluxish project--and as an emulator. It required an external 128KB SRAM, but otherwise worked well. Couldn't get any interest going; mostly because the ATMega256 was a QFP and people weren't very receptive to building their projects using SMT. I did a through-hole version using an ATMega162, but it actually cost more than the ATMega256 one. Flash was full-sized SD card.

What the world was waiting for was a complete capable cheap MCU on a board.

Blog Entries

Interesting - I must follow this and see if it evolves.
    Torfinn

Blog Entries

I've already programmed the BP with the firmware and will get the connector wired up and give it a try this week. I opted to buffer the outputs through a 74LS244 and add 2K pullups to the inputs just so there would be no problems with older 5.25" drives. Needless to say, I've altered the program code a bit (e.g. changing the open-drain output configuration to push-pull). I used an ST-Link programmer rather than the serial bootloader option--just preference on my part; I'm already set up to use OpenOCD and the ST-Link for my other STM32 devices.

It's interesting in that the firmware code doesn't use any of the standard STM32 libraries (HAL, libopencm3, SPL, etc.). It's pretty much self-contained.

Quote Originally Posted by drdanj View Post
    and it looks like the fluxengine guy is about to abandon what he's been doing
    https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle/issues/3

the re-invention wheel keeps-a-spinnin'

Blog Entries

Abandon? No. But he has long been looking for cheaper hardware (or hw that don't require closed tools) https://github.com/davidgiven/fluxengine/issues/5
    up to now, he didn't think that the blue pill was powerful enough. We'll see what happens
    Torfinn

Blog Entries

Well, I do the same with a STM32F407 board (about $10), which is quite a bit more capable, but the BP has me interested in minimalist imprlementations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've already programmed the BP with the firmware and will get the connector wired up and give it a try this week. I opted to buffer the outputs through a 74LS244 and add 2K pullups to the inputs just so there would be no problems with older 5.25" drives. Needless to say, I've altered the program code a bit (e.g. changing the open-drain output configuration to push-pull). I used an ST-Link programmer rather than the serial bootloader option--just preference on my part; I'm already set up to use OpenOCD and the ST-Link for my other STM32 devices.

It's interesting in that the firmware code doesn't use any of the standard STM32 libraries (HAL, libopencm3, SPL, etc.). It's pretty much self-contained.
    I think it's because he's making the entire thing PD - if you used the HAL you'd be GPL'd?

I programmed initially with the STLINK, but have been using the self-update now, which is quick and easy. I've stuck 1k pullups on the inputs, but it seems to behave perfectly well with my 1.2MB PC 5.25" drive - I've not tried it with anything truly ancient