Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compaq Portable 486 screen replacement

That sounds like it could be a device driver issue. Is the screen only in reverse once in DOS, but not if you enter the BIOS screen? That would be a good test to see if driver related. Or perhaps there's a driver setting or even a function key to reverse video. Only other thought is that on some old style non-tft LCD's adjusting the contrast too high might make the display look reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaDon View Post
    That sounds like it could be a device driver issue. Is the screen only in reverse once in DOS, but not if you enter the BIOS screen? That would be a good test to see if driver related. Or perhaps there's a driver setting or even a function key to reverse video. Only other thought is that on some old style non-tft LCD's adjusting the contrast too high might make the display look reversed.
    No, I misspoke... I hadn't run that machine in quite some time. Even on a DOS boot and in the BIOS Setup it's reversed. But with an external VGA monitor it's normal in all modes, BIOS, DOS and Windows. So, apparently it the laptop's screen that's at fault.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Most likely the LCD, but check the cable out first.