Image Map Image Map

Thread: SCSI termination of drive that worked in Amiga 2000.

Default SCSI termination of drive that worked in Amiga 2000.

Hi
    I need to connect my old hard disk from Amiga 2000 - the Quantum Pro Drive LPS (about 100-120 MB capacity), that worked internally with A. L. F. II SCSI in Amiga. The hard disk don't have a termination resistors, because the termination is probably turned on in CD-ROM drive. When connecting it to more modern Adaptec PCI adapter it will be the only one item in the line(not counting card). Should I buy a passive terminator or active? Is using active terminator safe(it's just cheaper for me)?
    Thank You for answering in advance

Blog Entries

The PCI adapter probably needs the active terminator. IIRC, passive terminators were only useful if all SCSI devices on the chain were restricted to SCSI-1 speeds and all the PCI cards I know of are much faster than that.

Blog Entries

I don't know which LPS SCSI drive you have, but all have internal termination capability. See here

I'd use those before an external terminator.

Blog Entries

While the card might be much faster then SCSI-1 the 120MB hard drive isn't so either terminate the drive with resisters, terminate the 50 pin cable with something else on the end or a passive terminator. Are you going to use something like Amiga Forever to read the HD in a PC?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems