Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've been off the PC gaming turf for a long time. What's it like to be a gamer today?

Do games ever come from the store packaged with a USB flash drive to install?

I understand when you say that some modern games need periodic updates, that's why releasing them on a burned CD/DVD is not practical.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    How many years ago did new games stop having offline gaming mode and no longer commonly install from a CD/DVD?

Once I know this, I can know how powerful of a GPU I need to play the last ever offline gaming mode capable games on max settings. (Without buying hardware that is more powerful than necessary)
    C'mon, a little reserve horsepower is always a good idea.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I like to save money and energy costs too if possible. I don't want to bottleneck either. (Wasted performance)
    Last edited by computerdude92; November 1st, 2019 at 05:47 AM.

Blog Entries

I like to save money and energy costs too if possible. I don't want to bottleneck either. (Wasted performance)
    Current power saving mechanisms are quite good. The high performance chip with extra cores running at idle will only need a watt or two more than the super efficient counterpart from the same product line. Watch sales. Often the second fastest chip with a given number of cores will be the cheaper than many of the slower chips thanks to bundling deals with a new motherboard.

Blog Entries

Newer Chips have a 'Turbo' mode, so to speak, that boosts the CPU when your video card detects a need for higher performance. Some gamers disable this feature and go full blast all the time. The 'Turbo' feature will save you a little money and bring things down to a trot when you're just browsing and plinking around.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Its not just newer CPUs that can clock down when full power is not needed, GPUs have the save functionality. My RX580 doesn't even need the fans spinning when I am just browsing the web and power usage is very low doing that.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I'll go as far as Windows 7/8.1 supported games. I'd rather avoid Windows 10 anything. There's many older titles to choose from. So that being said I don't need a DirectX 12 supporting card. (I'll be a retired gamer)

From Wikipedia: "In 2019 Microsoft announced the arrival of DirectX 12 to Windows 7"

Cool! Looks like I won't be missing out on Windows 10 era games and fancy DirectX 12 supporting graphics cards!

I don't see any info yet about DirectX 12 being added to Windows 8.1. Is the backport only for Windows 7?

In my experience Windows 8.1 isn't too bad of an OS. I rate it 3 out of 5 stars. Only issues I report are buggy drivers, sleep mode bugs, the built-in Windows flatbed scanner app breaks by itself, and there's also an apparent proneness to malware if you turn off some Windows 8.1 features in the settings menu in order to gain better privacy.

Playing newer games with their HD graphics will spoil you. Playing old favorites just don't seem to be as much fun but there are exceptions. About a year ago I played Dungeon Siege I on my modern computer with a decent graphics card and high def monitor. Thoroughly enjoyed it .

Some of the older games just look terrible no matter what computer you play them on. Then again, there are old games that have been remastered with updated graphics that give the game a new life.

My biggest gripe with most of the new games is they are massive multiplayer online. That is by design because they have become an enormous cash machine for the game developers. Fees for user online accounts, all of the expansion packs etc.

I'm still working and just too tired at the end of the day to spend hours online. I haven't played any games in awhile because of that.

Since Microsoft chose to add DirectX 12 support for Windows 7, they might as well add DirectX 11.2 support as well. (11.2 is Win8.1 exclusive)

That's the nicest thing they've done for me in years! Like back in the good ol' WinXP and Win7 eras!