Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFM drive question

Default MFM drive question

Working on my 5160 today I'm having some problems setting up a couple MFM drives. I have a pair of ST-225's and a pair of ST-251's, but one of each just died recently. When I put the 2 working ones in and go into Speedstor, it tells me I need to change the jumper settings when I try to set the types and they aren't the same. Which jumper settings exactly is it referring to?

Blog Entries

Start with just using one drive to make your life simple.

The jumpers are usually the drive selects. If you're using a straight through cable, just set the drives to "DS0" (the first drive).
    You can search for "ST251 jumpers" or "ST225 jumpers" on google etc.

What controller are you using?

Some controllers can be used with any drive (but you need to use their built in formatting tools to set the configuration), and others have predefined types they support.

I've ruled out the controller because I've used it for both pairs of drives without issues, and it's worked fine with Speedstor for me before. My cable has a twist in it, it's not straight through

Quote Originally Posted by SpidersWeb View Post
    Very good advice

The jumpers are usually the drive selects. If you're using a straight through cable, just set the drives to "DS0" (the first drive).
    No, that's incorrect.

For a straight through cable DS0 is for the first drive and DS1 is for the second drive.

Setting both to DS0 is for a twisted cable.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Ok, that makes sense . I'll try messing around with the drive select jumpers.

As far as I can tell, everything is set up how it should be. The controller card is an Adaptec 408106 that was working fine last week, and I have a twisted cable with both drives set to 0 with the drive select jumpers but still nothing. Same error in Speestor about the jumpers

Did you...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Yes, with one drive it works fine, and with 2 of the same drive it also works fine. I switched to a straight through cable and changed the drive select jumpers to match and now I'm getting a "drive type jumper must be changed for one of the drives"

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    Yes, with one drive it works fine, and with 2 of the same drive it also works fine. I switched to a straight through cable and changed the drive select jumpers to match and now I'm getting a "drive type jumper must be changed for one of the drives"
    So use the highlighted configuration that works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    So use the highlighted configuration that works fine.
    The problem is I only have one 225 and one 251 or else I would! I did some more troubleshooting and I think I found a card that will work. It's a much later card that seems to be fully automatic as opposed to having a whole bunch of jumpers