Image Map Image Map

Thread: Most powerful graphics cards with native XP drivers?

Default Most powerful graphics cards with native XP drivers?

What are the last ever graphics cards made from Nvidia and AMD that support Windows XP?

Blog Entries

Quick check suggests that for AMD the Radeon HD 8000 line is the last supported by Windows XP 32bit. The HD 7000 line was released in the 2012-2013 time frame. HD 8000 were rather scarce minimal updates of the 7000 line IIRC.

Nvidia looks like GTX 9xx would be the last supported on XP. These would be about 5 years old now.

I would recommend checking the Nvidia and AMD websites to make sure that there are drivers for whichever old card you choose. Always was that one strange exception in every group of similarly numbered cards.

I did some searching too and a thread on Vogons says the GTX 960 and the R9 270X are the best.

I care more about visuals than speed. The R9 270X has more TMUs and shading units than a GTX 960, so does the R9 270X have better looking graphics as a result?

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...47815&start=80

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-r9-270x.c2466

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...-gtx-960.c2637

They were also saying something about the GTX 780Ti, but that's an older card, so the graphics won't look as good?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-spec...x-780-ti.c2512
    Last edited by computerdude92; October 31st, 2019 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    I care more about visuals than speed. The R9 270X has more TMUs and shading units than a GTX 960, so does the R9 270X have better looking graphics as a result?
    You're trying to compare apples to oranges. The number of Shader Cores/TMUs/ROPs between two completely different architectures isn't a valid comparison. Both are going to have an imperceptible different in visuals, the only thing you'd be concerned with is frame rates.

The bigger issue you have is with 32 bit Windows XP only having a 4 GB address space. Video cards with large amounts of video memory will start eating into the system memory address space, which means that less addressable memory is available. An example would be is if you have 4 GB of system memory installed and a video card with 1 GB of video memory, the amount of usable system memory drops to 3 GB. The more video memory a video card has, the lower this will go until eventually Windows will start sacrificing video memory as well to maintain an equilibrium.

The lowest I've seen this go is ~2.2 GB with an HD5870 that had 3 GB of VRAM.

There is an ugly hack which will allow 32 bit Windows XP to use more than 4 GB of memory via PAE, but it's not supported by Microsoft and tends to be very unstable. I've used it before with varying success on Server motherboards that had 32 bit CPUs but supported more than 4 GB of RAM.

Would the visuals be any different if I used Windows 7 on the same system? XP is limited to DirectX 9. Win7 supports up to DirectX 12. Will there now be a difference in the visuals between the 3 cards?

Windows 7 supporting a later version of DirectX isn't going to increase the visuals of games unless they explicitly support those versions of DirectX and take advantage of those features. Running a DX9 game on Windows 7 won't make it look better.

But running Windows 7 will remove the memory constraints if you use the 64 bit version of Windows 7, assuming the hardware supports it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by computerdude92 View Post
    Would the visuals be any different if I used Windows 7 on the same system? XP is limited to DirectX 9. Win7 supports up to DirectX 12. Will there now be a difference in the visuals between the 3 cards?
    Let me chime in with this: I have a pair of HD 7970'a (3 GB ea in CrossFire) sitting on a Asus X170 mobo with a i7-6700 CPU. Those older cards will run everything from XP through W10.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previ...radeon-hd-7970

What's going to make a difference is your monitor, memory, and CPU. You'll need at least 8 GB of on-board memory along with a decent monitor to run the better games. The above system is my 'back-up' and it has a 27" Samsung IPS which I bought directly from S. Korea about 5 years or so ago. Everything that I have looks gorgeous and run great on that old box. Let us know more about your hardware and what games you want to play.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting