Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MASM 5.1 to .COM file under MS-DOS 6.22?

Here are three more pieces of information.
    1. The program operation required DOS 3.1 or higher since it used Create_Temp_file in case of power failure.
    2. I wrote most of this at home, where I had an original Tandy 1000, and I don't remember the OS version I was using
    3. The program ran on a PC/XT in the lab

I already reviewed PC-DOS 3.30 documentation and its LINK did not have a /BI switch

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Here are three more pieces of information.
    1. The program operation required DOS 3.1 or higher since it used Create_Temp_file in case of power failure.
    2. I wrote most of this at home, where I had an original Tandy 1000, and I don't remember the OS version I was using
    3. The program ran on a PC/XT in the lab

I already reviewed PC-DOS 3.30 documentation and its LINK did not have a /BI switch
    Any chance you used OPTLINK ? I believe it had a /BINARY switch which generated non-relocatable binary and there's a good possibility that /BI would have been acceptable abbreviation.

Quote Originally Posted by pcdosretro View Post
    Any chance you used OPTLINK ? I believe it had a /BINARY switch which generated non-relocatable binary and there's a good possibility that /BI would have been acceptable abbreviation.
    I honestly don't know, sorry. I looked up a PC-Mag "First Looks" for the OPTLINK and it was dated Oct 1990, a year after my last revision. Did it exist in mid-1989?

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    I honestly don't know, sorry. I looked up a PC-Mag "First Looks" for the OPTLINK and it was dated Oct 1990, a year after my last revision. Did it exist in mid-1989?
    Not sure, I know OPTASM which was a third-party assembler by the same company (SLR Systems) came out in the late 80s. There were other third-party DOS linkers besides OPTLINK. I'm very familiar with the MS tools and there is no version of MS LINK that I know of which supports a /BI switch.

Did you try building your program in the usual manner with MASM, LINK and EXE2BIN ? That should definitely work.

Blog Entries

Here's a tidbit

This was documented with the LINK.EXE that was packaged with QuickC 2.00. I don't know if the option was valid in other versions.

The problem with LINK up until about 1995 was that there were various versions from Microsoft of the darned thing. I've got all the MSC's going back to Lattice C, and if anyone is patient and really curious, I could probably run this one down.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Here's a tidbit

This was documented with the LINK.EXE that was packaged with QuickC 2.00. I don't know if the option was valid in other versions.

The problem with LINK up until about 1995 was that there were various versions from Microsoft of the darned thing. I've got all the MSC's going back to Lattice C, and if anyone is patient and really curious, I could probably run this one down.
    Interesting though it says it was unimplemented, it was probably in an unreleased version of LINK and ultimately became /TINY.

I once considered trying to document all of the DOS versions of LINK on my website but there are indeed too many of them. There was a different version of LINK with every version of every language product and LINK was also included with PC DOS on the supplemental programs disk up to PC DOS 3.20 (for PC DOS 3.30 and 4.00 you could order an extra utility disk which included LINK).

Blog Entries

It could get puzzling if you decided to use the default MSDOS-supplied link with one of the language products (e.g. MSC). The language compilers spit out options that MSDOS link couldn't understand.

And then, if you're using 32 bit MSC, it has its own version of LINK that's not compatible with 16-bit MSC. I have little doubt that there's a version of LINK there somewhere with the /BI option. The trick is in identifying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Here's a tidbit

I did have QuickC, but don't remember which version. Forgot about that.

I believe it was Quick C 2.5, the last version iirc, that came with Quick Assembler. If that's any help.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I believe it was Quick C 2.5, the last version iirc, that came with Quick Assembler. If that's any help.
    According to Winworldpc, QuickC 2.50 was released in 1990. My development ended in Sept 1989.

I did a check of QuickC 1.0 and 2.0, and neither of them has a linker accepting the /bi switch.

I also wrote code with QuickBasic 4.5. Guess what?

Its LINK.EXE recognizes the /bi switch, and links directly to a .COM file.