Image Map Image Map

Thread: Mac 512k Compatible printers

Default Mac 512k Compatible printers

I'm looking at Mac 512K ans when looking at the pictures it looks like the printer interface is a serial DB9 type port. Does anyone know what printers are compatible with this machine?

The 512k is going to be limited to early Imagewriter or Laserwriter printers. You can build an adapter cable to go from a DE-9 to a Mini-DIN 8 (used in later machines for serial/parallel connectivity) but driver support will be the limiting factor.

http://www.apple2.org/Ports/#ModemandPrinterPorts

The latest Mac system software this model will run is 4.1 with Finder 5.5. System 6 will not run on this machine without significant machine upgrades that are near unobtanium today.

Blog Entries

LaserWriter, LaserWriter Plus, ImageWriter I, Imagewriter II, ImageWriterLQ and MAAAAAAYBE the Stylewriter.
    = Excellent space heater

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
    I'm looking at Mac 512K ans when looking at the pictures it looks like the printer interface is a serial DB9 type port. Does anyone know what printers are compatible with this machine?
    Don't let the shape of that printer port deter you. For the purposes of printing, it's the same as a mini-Din 8 on any newer Mac. You can get an adapter cable for it. This picture below shows the cable that you need. Note that it is male on both ends.

After you've got cabling figured out, printer compatibility is merely a matter of which drivers are available. As others have already replied, all of the ImageWriter family and AppleTalk-equipped LaserWriter family are compatible.

There were a few commercial 3rd party drivers for common PC printers. They included the software + a serial cable in the box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    There were a few commercial 3rd party drivers for common PC printers. They included the software + a serial cable in the box.
    Yeah, but how many of those would work on a 512K? I have one such kit here and the minimum requirement is System 6 more than 512k ram.
    = Excellent space heater

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Yeah, but how many of those would work on a 512K? I have one such kit here and the minimum requirement is System 6 more than 512k ram.
    There were some daisywheel printer drivers for the Mac 128K and 512K.

Assimilation Process had a Mac Daisywheel Connection product, as did Creighton Development with its ProPrint.

Check old MacWorld and MacUser magazines, as there were a lot of neat products back in the day which have been totally forgotten about now.