Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 1 monitor power cable colour code

Blog Entries

Default Model 1 monitor power cable colour code

Folks,

I acquired a Model 1 with monitor (European 240V model) and the plug has been cut off the monitor power cable.

Cable colours are red, black and grey - anyone know how this maps to modern UK power cable coding (Brown(live) , Blue(neutral) and green/yellow(earth))

Thanks

That sounds more like the Video cable: Red - +5V, Black - Ground and Grey - Video. Does the UK monitor have a detachable power cord?

Tom

Blog Entries

Ah, so does the power for the monitor come from the DIN connector attached to the TRS base unit then ?
    It looked like a power cable as its rather thick flex and I can understand someone cutting that off - rather than a video connector.

zippysticks,
    If I remember correctly the Video cable comes out the bottom front of the Monitor, and the AC Line
    Plug comes out the back of the Chassis. It's actually a RCA Television Chassis with the Tuner
    removed. I finally found my SAMS 1713 Photofacts for the RCA Chassis KCS203A/D, and have
    it scanned, with TIF's and a PDF built. The Tuner section of the SAMS Photofacts doesn't apply
    since the Monitor doesn't have a Tuner.

The US Plug is Polarized and the LINE goes directly to the Fuse and then Power Switch. The
    I'm not sure about the EU version.

Larry
    Last edited by ldkraemer; November 3rd, 2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: added RCA Chassis Info

Blog Entries

Hi Larry - this is the monitor in question.
    Both cables emerge from the bottom rear of the unit. Cable in question is on the right - thick three core flex with red, black and white cores.

Thin cable on the left has a 5 pin DIN connector. Note the three other connectors in the centre of the monitor.

IMG_20191103_164838091.jpg
    Last edited by zippysticks; November 3rd, 2019 at 09:21 AM.

Can you post a photo? I don't think the 220V European monitors were the converted RCA monitors in the US.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lafos View Post
    Can you post a photo? I don't think the 220V European monitors were the converted RCA monitors in the US.
    Yikes - forgot it from previous post. Now corrected.

The DIN connector is definitely to connect to the TRS-80. I don't have the info for the 240V power on the monitor. You can try to contact Ian. He has a lot of knowledge on TRS-80 including the 240V components. He's often on this forum, or you can contact him through his web page:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianmav/trs80/

I advise caution. If someone cut the power connector off the cord, there might be something wrong inside. Have you opened it for a visual inspection?

Blog Entries

Well, here is my answer - what a mess.

The incoming power cable goes to a junction board/fuse holder that subsequently feed the rear three power sockets on the monitor (none of which go through the fuse).

Grey connects to a yellow/green earth cable and doesn't not actually go anywhere other than the 3 sockets - so there is no chassis earth in the monitor.
    Red goes through the fuse and off to the transformer primary white wire. It also connects to the blue (usually neutral) wire of the three sockets.
    Black connects to the brown wire of the sockets (usually live in UK parlance) and also off to the transformer primary grey wire.

So my conclusion is :

Grey - earth
    Red - fused neutral
    Black - live

TRS80_Monitor_Power.jpg

Blog Entries

Seems to work although the Model 1 seems to have some issues.....

Monitor1.jpg

Monitor2.jpg