Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Souped up Compaq Portable 286

THATS AMAZING The one thing I feel holding portables back is the mono displays. Thats odd they left the last ISA bus at 8bit. Was it to save money. Just seems strange to put in all the traces but leave it blank.

When I "rescued" my Portable II from being thrown away, I was also trying to think of deceptive looking gaming PC for taking to lan parties. A Portable clone with modern innards would've been neat. The down side was I had no way to vacuum form or mold large sheets of plastic. The alternative was making plaster molds of the skins, then building a heavy beast out of fiberglass.

I'm a great fan of the Compaq Portable machines, especially the Portable II. I was thinking about fitting a faster 286 and swapping the crystal, so I'd be highly interested in your results. I also thought about the feasibility of replacing the 286 with a 386SX - has anybody ever tried that? I imagine it would take a different BIOS to get it to work.

So, please let us know about your progress with the pimped Portable 286

Quote Originally Posted by diskettenfett View Post
    I'm a great fan of the Compaq Portable machines, especially the Portable II. I was thinking about fitting a faster 286 and swapping the crystal, so I'd be highly interested in your results. I also thought about the feasibility of replacing the 286 with a 386SX - has anybody ever tried that? I imagine it would take a different BIOS to get it to work.

So, please let us know about your progress with the pimped Portable 286
    386sx requires glue logic and an adapter, upgrades that did this usually did not include a bios update

Very nice. I didn't know the Mac and Compaq CRTs were interchangeable.

I also like that trick with the memory card, I've been thinking about doing something similar with my Eagle PC that has only 3 slots (2 used) and needs a memory card with a measly 128k to bring it up to 640k.