Image Map Image Map

Thread: Verifying Authenticity of Logitech Trackman

Default Verifying Authenticity of Logitech Trackman

Hello All,

So I bought a NOS Logitech Trackman from 1989. Opened the sealed shrinkwrap and everything looks brand new BUT the trackman has no Logitech logo on the front side (thebold green background logo should be there).

I have owned a number of Logitech mice over the years. In fact the first mouse I bought was a Logitech c-mouse. They all have had the logo. All the ones I see on fleabay have the logo. And the box for this mouse states the logo "is a seal of quality"

Has anyone ever seen one without a logo? Not just rubbed off but never there? Could this be a refurb or second hand stock? Would love to hear everyone's opinion. TIA!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

I have a P7 mouse. It has a logo of circle inside a square with one quadrant filled in, all in grey next to the word Logitech. The early Trackman logo I recall was grey like http://xahlee.info/kbd/logitech_trac...trackball.html

No logo seems a bit odd but who would make a fake Trackman?

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    I have a P7 mouse. It has a logo of circle inside a square with one quadrant filled in, all in grey next to the word Logitech. The early Trackman logo I recall was grey like http://xahlee.info/kbd/logitech_trac...trackball.html

No logo seems a bit odd but who would make a fake Trackman?
    Funny I saw that page before posting. That logo was never gray. It was like the one you see in the ad in the next picture. That is also how it is depicted on the box. As for who, no idea. It might not be anything at all and could be just a mistake from the factory. But it is odd.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Blog Entries

http://www.tcocd.de/Pictures/Periphe...Logitech.shtml has a lot more devices. Some have logos; some don't. I expect that the logic board will have a Logi imprint on it or on a chip but I don't see an easy way to open the Trackman.

I guess I was the only person that liked the grey logo on beige look instead of the colorful logo on white.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    http://www.tcocd.de/Pictures/Periphe...Logitech.shtml has a lot more devices. Some have logos; some don't. I expect that the logic board will have a Logi imprint on it or on a chip but I don't see an easy way to open the Trackman.

I guess I was the only person that liked the grey logo on beige look instead of the colorful logo on white.
    Interesting. Thanks for the linkage. I am leaning toward it being original as well. Just seems like bad business practice for Logitech to advertise the logo as a quality seal and then not have it on a retail product. The other option I can think of is that these were made for OEM markets and somehow/somewhere someone got one in a retail box/packaging. I doubt it is anything special like a very early model where they had forgotten to stamp the logo on it.

Blog Entries

I find it interesting that there's interest in a simple TrackMan, but no interest at all in a much-more-complex ScanMan.

One day, someone is going to have to explain this collecting business to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I find it interesting that there's interest in a simple TrackMan, but no interest at all in a much-more-complex ScanMan.

One day, someone is going to have to explain this collecting business to me.
    Well I just bought a TrackMan not a ScanMan so i am interested in making sure I got what I paid for.

Honestly this has nothing to do with collecting. I have a 486 tower on a desk with limited space for a mouse so I thought I give a stationary mouse a try.

Blog Entries

I purchased one of those original trackman marbles back in the day and wasn't too thrilled with it. Should be in a box on the shelf somewhere, box was trashed after I opened it.

The Scanman was cool when it came out , both the original greyscale one and the color one. Pretty sure I still have both in the collection plus one for the Mac. Come to think of it I have an MCA card for them also. But if I do use a scanner on a vintage system it would be a flatbed SCSI model and on newer systems my wireless printer/scanner or a USB model since they are faster.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I've still got a couple of CH Products trackballs--one PS/2, the other serial. They're okay, but I prefer a mouse. Also have one of those Cirque Glidepads; haven't used it in years.