Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: History of Intel graphics card

1.10 i860 Chip
       On February 27, 1989, Intel launched the i860. At that time, i860 was the most advanced 64 bit microprocessor, adopting RISC design technology, which was a general-purpose high-performance microprocessor. It integrates the core components of integer RISC, floating-point processing, page memory management, instruction cache, data cache and 3D image processing into a VLSI microprocessor. In short, i860 is like core I3 / i5 in 20 years. Advanced design leads to its high price, and its graphics card only appears in the high-end professional field.
       DATAPATH DGC0BD

2. The first fledgling (1989-1996)
       I introduced the i750 chip in the previous section. After Intel acquired DVI, the DVI Pro750 graphics card was renamed Intel Pro750. However, INTEL is very dissatisfied with the design of the PRO 750 graphics card, and re-developed the ACTIONMEDIA series of graphics cards, thus officially entering the field of PC graphics.
       The Intel i750 graphics card project lasted for 6 years and it is obvious that it is doing its best. In order to expand the impact, even with the PC giant IBM. Unfortunately, in the era of the heroes, Intel's efforts still have no breakthroughs, gradually disappeared. So senior hardware enthusiasts only think that Intel's first graphics card starts with the i740 chip...
      2.1 ACTIONMEDIA 750 Series Graphics Card
       ACTIONMEDIA can be understood as universal media. The first generation of ACTIONMEDIA graphics cards was the migration of Intel Pro 750 commercial digital media development technology to the consumer consumption digital multimedia graphics card ACTIONMEDIA 750.
      2.1.1 ACTIONMEDIA 750 Prototype Card DS1AT
       In March 1987, a chip evaluation board for the i750 chip, codenamed Tower, was made.The i750 product evaluation board DS1 was not developed until 1989.The CS1 Delivery Board is matched with the DS1Capture Board.
       DS1-AT is the ISA interface version prototype card. This board is missing the original i750 chip, specially purchased the Intel i750PA/DA chip, and the other two are missing VLSI VTG8001/8002.
      DS1-AT Prototype

DS1-AT & CS1AT

The board below is a blank PROTOTYPE board without a chip.Also very rare.
      DS1-AT PCB Board

2.1.2 ACTIONMEDIA 750 ISA Version Engineering Sample
         The ACTIONMEDIA 750 attracted widespread attention after its display at the COMDEX/Fall '89 show from November 13 to 17, 1989.
      ACTIONMEDIA 750 Engineering Sample

ACTIONMEDIA 750 & CS1AT

2.1.3 ACTIONMEDIA 750 MCA Version Engineering Sample
         The MCA interface ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI once appeared on behalf of the ACTIONMEDIA series on March 5, 1990, "INFO WORLD", the only ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI picture that can be seen on the Internet.
       ACTIONMEDIA 750 MCA Version Engineering Sample

ACTIONMEDIA 750 MCA Version & CS1MCA

2.1.4 ACTIONMEDIA 750
       At that time, both Intel Pro 750 and ACTIONMEDIA 750 were "Only available in limited quantities", making it difficult to see pictures of these products.
      The picture below shows the boxed ACTIONMEDIA 750, with a lot of floppy disks, CDs and manuals attached.

The ACTIONMEDIA 750 documentation contains the prototype card information for ACTIONMEDIA II. It can be seen that the ACTIONMEDIA 750 is just a transitional product. This buyer spent $9,998 to buy but has never used it.
        The following is a schematic diagram of the connection used. It can be seen that the ACTIONMEDIA 750 can be used as a discrete graphics card.

The boxed ACTIONMEDIA 750 has 3 boxes, which are quite large. Below is a comparison of the boxed cards of the ACTIONMEDIA series. The first column is ACTIONMEDIA 750, and the second and third columns are the ACTIONMEDIA II and Smart video Recorder in the next section.

2.2 ACTIONMEDIA II Series Graphics Card
        In the late 1980s, the patch manufacturing process of the board was mature, and intel was naturally the leader. The i750PA/DA chip of the PGA pin structure is upgraded to the i750PB/DB chip of the PQFP chip structure, and the chip package is changed from a gold seal to a plastic package.
      2.2.1 INTEGRATOR Chip Evaluation board
         Based on the mature design of the previous generation, the chip evaluation board INTEGRATOR was developed. So the INTEGRATOR looks like the ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI for the replace chip, or the CS1 card.
      INTEGRATOR Chip Evaluation board

The ISA interface version of the detachable Chip Evaluation board INTEGRATOR's two i750PB/DB chips are ES.

2.2.2 INTEGRATOR Chip Evaluation Board MCA Version
      The figure below shows the INTEGRATOR of the MCA interface version. The i750PB/DB ES chip date is very early.
      INTEGRATOR Chip Evaluation board MCA Version

The release date of the ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI was officially released in March 1990. From the above figure i750 chip date 9014, it can be seen that at least on the ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI release date, Intel began to work on the development of ACTIONMEDIA II. The unsuccessful ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI has a lot to do with Intel's lack of effort in making this project a transition. The INTEGRATOR of the MCA interface above has another unusual point, that is, most of the chips on the card may be blacked out due to confidentiality. Obviously it has been shown, it is estimated to pull the IBM cooperation together with the deputy card to demonstrate the feasibility of the project.
         MCA Interface Version The secondary card of the INTEGRATOR is the secondary card CS1MCA that directly uses the previous generation ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI.

2.2.3 DS2AT Product Evaluation board
       ACTIONMEDIA II was released on October 17, 1991 and was exhibited at COMDEX Fall '91 on October 21-25, 1991 and won the Best of Show Award and Best Multimedia Product Award. Intel's ACTIONMEDIA II graphics card is to further optimize the structure of the ACTIONMEDIA 750 DVI primary and secondary cards as the main daughter card structure, and also designed three QFP-structured i750 series auxiliary chips for the i750PB/DB chip. These 5 chips are:
       82750PB pixel processor 82750DB display processor 82750LA Keying and Audio Gate Array (KAGA) 82750LH Host Interface Gate Array (HIGA) 82750LV VRAM SCSI Capture Gate Array (VSCGA)
      DS2AT Product Evaluation board

CS2 Prototype

2.2.4 DS2MCA Product Evaluation board
         The ACTIONMEDIA II Product Evaluation board is codenamed DS2. The following MCA interface version ACTIONMEDIA II is DS2MCA, which has five i750 chips. The i750PB/DB is obviously the ES version. The only three codes of the ceramic seal are not the unlabeled models. It is the ES chip of the early i750LA/LH/LV.
       DS2MCA Product Evaluation board

2.2.5 ACTIONMEDIA II Engineering Sample ISA Version
      ACTIONMEDIA II Engineering Sample ISA Version

2.2.6 ACTIONMEDIA II Engineering Sample MCA Version
      ACTIONMEDIA II Engineering Sample MCA Version

CS2 Engineering Sample

2.2.7 ACTIONMEDIA II Qualified Product
      ACTIONMEDIA II Qualified Product

Capture module

2.3 ACTIONMEDIA III Series Graphics Card
       Around 92 years, Intel began to develop ACTIONMEDIA III.ACTIONMEDIA III was originally designed to be the same as the ACTIONMEDIA II as the main daughter card structure, and later adjusted to a single card.
      2.3.1 QUARK Chip Evaluation Board
       ACTIONMEDIA III should update the i750PB/DB and launch the i750PC/DC Chip Evaluation board. In fact, it is an evaluation of the update of the auxiliary chip. Presumably, the chip to be evaluated integrates the functions of the original 82750LA, 82750LH, and 82750LV3 chips. The chip to be evaluated should be i750SN, which will be introduced later.
       QUARK Chip Evaluation Board

2.3.2 QUARK II Chip Evaluation Board
      QUARK II Chip Evaluation Board

QUARK's REV 2 version compared with the above REV 1 version, QUARK's REV 2 version of the chip evaluation board is about one-third wider than the REV 1 version of the standard ISA full-length board, the extra place is loaded two One function, one on the right, is the function chip evaluation board area of ​​the daughter card, and the function of the daughter card is directly extended on the main card. As the integration level is improved and the memory is processed in two slots, the ISA interface master card has enough functions to directly accommodate the daughter card, and the daughter card function can be cut by the empty soldering。
       Chip evaluation board QUARK 2.5 chip in order i750PB, i750DB, F122164PPM and TC160G54ES, this TC160G54ES chip is very special, Intel not only set a PGA chip socket on the graphics card, but also equipped with a DVI THUMPER secondary card to deploy. This interface has not been made on the QUARK 2.5 graphics card, but the above socket can be indirectly debugged using Altera's EPM7192GC160-1 PGA chip that has been processed by the DVI THUMPER secondary card.
      QUARK II Chip Evaluation Board & DVI THUMPER

The i750 chip project began in 1986 with the i750PA/DA chip, and finally the 1993 i750PD chip, which lasted 8 years. The i750 chip was undoubtedly excellent at the beginning of its birth. Intel did not update or replace the PCI interface. In the latter stage, its excellent performance index became a congenital deficiency. In the end, it had no potential to be dug and had to end. The 2D graphics project of Intel's i750 chip is also finished. This was followed by the development of video cards.