Image Map Image Map

Thread: uIEC and CP/M on a C128?

Default uIEC and CP/M on a C128?

I posted this over on the Commodore forum, but after thinking about it I realized this might be a more appropriate spot.

I've recently gotten my 128DCR into good working order and have managed to create a bootable CPM 3.0 disk. I've yet to successfully create a ZPM disk (the images seem to be corrupted in some way), but I do have a variety of CPM images on an SD card in my uIEC.

Do any of you have any experience getting a uIEC recognized or otherwise convincing CPM to talk to it? I can't seem to figure out a way to get it to work with CPM, though I do see entries (on other forums) that are several years old where people claim to be booting CPM from it.

If I recall it does work but there is some way you have to put a ROM file on it or something to fool it into thinking it's a 1541, otherwise it tries to use it as a 1571 and fails because there is no burst mode support.

There is a guy that set up a bunch of images for me some years back (he also wrote a serial/TCP portal). Jeff Stokes. I haven't heard from him for a while but he had it all working on his 128 with SD2IEC.

I'm sure it was in the discussion groups many years ago... I wish I knew where to point you.

I remember we had it running, to test it WAY back, but yes, it requires setting up a "track1, sector 0 file somewhere (I'll have to go look at the docs) and then it can boot.

Thanks for everyone's pointers! I'll keep looking and keep trying.

I used this few years ago: https://sites.google.com/site/h2obse...erial-for-uiec

Adds support for burst mode/fast serial to uIEC and seemed to work well as long you only stick to C128 format disks (eg no Kaypro IV). This is sadly based on ancient version of sd2iec so you will lose a few features by using that firmware.

I remember that- it was never added to the mainstream release because it wasn't possible to make it 100% compatible due to the nature of how the burst protocol works.
    At least, that is what I recall Jim Brain said.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I remember that- it was never added to the mainstream release because it wasn't possible to make it 100% compatible due to the nature of how the burst protocol works.
    At least, that is what I recall Jim Brain said.
    Thanks very much!