Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sysgen

Default Sysgen

I'm getting ready to expand my BIOS on my CP/M 2.2 machine. So, I have been spending some time collecting the necessary information and programs I'll need. Today I was reading in "The CP/M Programmer's Handbook" by Andy Johnson. Page 186 states that you 'can direct SYSGEN to read in a disk file that contains an image.'

A:SYSGEN CPM62.COM

I tried this with my SYSGEN and it doesn't work. The file name is ignored. I looked in the Source code I have for my version of SYSGEN and there is nothing that would look up a file. I have SYSGEN Version 1.1, is there a later version that has this? Thanks Mike.

Blog Entries

That's Andy Johnson-Laird, BTW.

No, SYSGEN doesn't take any arguments--not in version 2 or version 3; at least the standard SYSGEN that comes with the OEM distribution of CP/M.

...and there's the rub--there were several vendor-supplied SYSGEN binaries. Some vendors decided to leave it off their supplied disk entirely.

SYSGEN version 2 supports an image file specified on the command line. Here's a link to the original source for SYSGEN 2 from Digital Research

https://deramp.com/downloads/digital...rce/SYSGEN.ASM

This may have to be modified slightly to work with your particular drive configuration.

Mike

I've always been leery of people with more than two names. Still not used to telephone area codes. Had a hard time advancing to 7 digits much less 10. No matter. Maybe Andy was referring to a more advanced or custom SYSGEN or could be loading an image with DDT then just saving it to disk with SYSGEN, by skipping the first half of it.

I've also been re-reading about MOVCPM. Apparently MOVCPM has the MDS-800 bootstrap, BIOS, CCP and BDOS in it. And will relocate that image to 0900H. So knowing what MOVCPM you have, what version of CP/M is important. There must be versions for 1.4, plus etal? Mike

As you may have guessed, there is no "one size fits all" SYSGEN. It is used for a specific installation.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    I've always been leery of people with more than two names.
    Andy's a great guy--you'd like him.

Is he still with us? I really like his book. It is by far the best CP/M book I have. Seems that it is very readable for me, which translates to I can understand it better than the others. Mike

Blog Entries

The last I checked, he was. That may not mean much, however.

When I extended Superbrain CP/M I just wrote a “putsys” type program to lay the updated OS down onto the boot tracks. It contains the entire OS. Quite easy and no mucking about reverse engineering SYSGEN.

I get that SYSGEN also reads a boot track but if you have a putsys you do not need it. Indeed, Intertec didn’t really bother with it (or MOVCPM for that matter) because their memory map was a bit non standard. The lack of a working MOVCPM was the reason why I had to reverse engineer the BIOS. There are sources for some of it, but all the clever stuff is hidden, so you have to disassemble it. Great fun though... if frustrating at times.
    Last edited by JonB; November 6th, 2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Z View Post
    A:SYSGEN CPM62.COM

I tried this with my SYSGEN and it doesn't work. The file name is ignored. I looked in the Source code I have for my version of SYSGEN and there is nothing that would look up a file. I have SYSGEN Version 1.1, is there a later version that has this? Thanks Mike.
    In the SYSGEN 2 source, most likely you can get it working by simply changing the NSECTS and NTRKS equates to match your system. Only in a few cases have I had to further customize SYSGEN than those equates.

If you'd rather use the SYSGEN already on your machine, do the following to write CPM62.COM to the boot tracks:

A>DDT CPM62.COM
    DDT VERS 2.2
    NEXT PC
    2700 0100
    -G0 (G zero, not "oh")

A>SYSGEN
    SYSGEN Ver 1.x...