Image Map Image Map

Thread: C-64C Isuues

Default C-64C Isuues

Maybe someone here can help me out.

I pulled my C64C out of storage about two weeks ago and tested it. It worked fine. Even played a game or two off some cartridges I had sitting around. Put everything back in the box until I had someplace permanent I could set it.

This afternoon, I hooked it back up. Now, it isn't working. When I turn the power on, the LED comes on and my 1541 drive initializes, but there is no picture or video. I tested the monitor with a DVD player I had sitting around and it works fine (same inputs the C64C would use).

Can't figure out if this is a PSU issue or something else. Someone here must have encountered something like this before. Any thoughts?

If it's a power supply problem, which it very well could be, then the C64 is probably toast. You'll need a voltmeter to check it.

This is a common problem with the potted brick power supplies Commodore used. They just weren't designed to last this long.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    If it's a power supply problem, which it very well could be, then the C64 is probably toast. You'll need a voltmeter to check it.

This is a common problem with the potted brick power supplies Commodore used. They just weren't designed to last this long.
    The machine actually doesn't have the original Commodore brick power supply on it. It has a different power supply on it (it's also large) by a company I've never heard of (I'm not at home to look at it right at this moment, but will post about it later).

I will also add that I tested to make sure it wasn't just a video issue. I typed in some commands to the 1541 drive to see if it would activate if I attempted to load something (using Load"*",8,1). Sadly, the drive does not respond.

What KC9UDX said. If the PSU has gone bad then it most likely killed a RAM chip. They are usually the first chips to go with a bad PSU. Check the DC voltage on the power supply to see what it's getting. If it's 5V then you can begin other troubleshooting steps.

Heather

I replied already but it didn’t appear here. The C64C I’m using doesn’t have the standard brick PSU. It’s another brand.

Still check it. We can only guess what design it is.

Your replies unfortunately all have to go through moderation until you have ten posts.

The model of the PSU is Recotron. I’m told they don’t have the same issues as the standard Commodore bricks. Doesn’t mean it didn’t go out, though.

With any luck it has an internal fuse which blew due to failing electrolytics.

If you don't have a multimeter, you're going to need one, one way or the other. I highly recommend not getting one of those cheapy ones; they tend to give bizarre readings at times.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetSword View Post
    The model of the PSU is Recotron. I’m told they don’t have the same issues as the standard Commodore bricks. Doesn’t mean it didn’t go out, though.
    Sometimes the aftermarket ones are even rebuild-able. I've got a "billion" brand one, and also a commodore brand that was made by billion, and neither are "potted" so if they go bad, I should be able to replace whatever is messed up.