Image Map Image Map

Thread: 3.5" Floppy sleeves

Blog Entries

Default 3.5" Floppy sleeves

Not sure if anyone has ever seen these available for sale or not, but figured I'd ask.

In some boxes of 3.5 floppies, the disks are individually put in clear plastic soft pocket sleeves....was wondering if anyone has ever seen these types of things available in buik and not just in boxes with blank disks?

The sleeve fits right about the disk and would be a great way to store older important floppies.....

I know they have those pages you can put some floppies in per page, but these are individual little sleeves for each disk. You could have them in a sleeve and then put them all in a normal plastic hard floppy case for safe keeping....
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

I have some of the plastic sleeves. They are clear, flat, protective disk bags.

1) Exact size, 3 " square

2) Longer for folding over, 3 " x 6"

I also have some clear plastic loose leaf binder pages that hold four disks per page.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

It's not clear that those do anyone any good--usually, they're too thin and fidgety to be reusable. I've filled wastebaskets with the things.

It's not clear what advantage they provide--the 3.5" disk isn't like the 5.25" one; it has a shutter to seal dirt from the cookie.

As a related issue, I've recently come across some older 3.5" disks where the plastic of the shell has started to degrade, rendering it brittle and flaking off in pieces.

Ultimately, I suspect that much of our plastic will share the same fate.

Alternatively I've got some NOS plastic disk boxes that hold 10 - 12 disks.

P6190159.jpgP7020216.jpg
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Stone,

The clear flat protective bags you mentioned, 3 3/4" square.....they are individual small bags for one disk correct? If so, I'd wanna get a bunch from you....

It was mentioned about being thin and not reusable.....the ones I have that came from a box of FujiFilm MF2HD Disks are great. I am sure they'd rip if I wasnt careful, but I put them in carefully...so they seem to last.

Blog Entries

I have cleared out a floppy disk box where all the little bags had turned yellow and brittle. Shutters are nice but adding contaminants to the mix isn't helpful.

Online, I see a few places advertising 9cm by 9cm unsealed open plastic bags for about $5 for 100 units. No idea how closely those resemble the higher quality plastic bags that some floppy manufacturers used.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    I have cleared out a floppy disk box where all the little bags had turned yellow and brittle.
    I've had these for ~ thirty years and they're still clear and soft.

PB081494.jpgPB081495.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    I have cleared out a floppy disk box where all the little bags had turned yellow and brittle. Shutters are nice but adding contaminants to the mix isn't helpful.

Online, I see a few places advertising 9cm by 9cm unsealed open plastic bags for about $5 for 100 units. No idea how closely those resemble the higher quality plastic bags that some floppy manufacturers used.
    How old were they? The ones I do have are in great shape and are probably 20 years old or more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smack2k View Post
    How old were they? The ones I do have are in great shape and are probably 20 years old or more.
    I have no idea. They were wrapped around unbranded floppy disks in a large storage box. I think they felt a lot thinner than the floppy bags used by IBM.

Blog Entries

If you really want to be safe, get some of those single-floppy acrylic cases...