Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutting Deals

Blog Entries

Default Cord Cutting Deals

I noticed today that Tablo Lite is on sale at BestBuy and Amazon. I currently use HDHomerun for my off air routing, however, with HDHR, you must pay a fee for the program storage if you wish record. I can do OAR through Hulu on local channels, but that eats into your 1T cap. So my question is anyone out there using Tablo with their system? If so, how do rate it? BTW, my xFinity tab dropped dramatically from about $230 (4 tv's) down to around $84 as I now own all of my equipement. Using a Motorola modem at 5 GHz throughout my house with 2 el cheapo house wiring repeater/extenders.

So simple a caveman (and your wife) can do it. Please . . . don't let her see this.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

I always been a fan of over the air with a tivo and lifetime license. I'm still using my tivo 3hd all these years later. Sadly I can't commit on the setup you speak off.
    I have dyslexia, I have alot of trouble putting my thoughts into words and spelling/grammar is something I struggle with.
    You may need to read my posts twice to understand what I said.

Supposedly Kodi can do what you want in software. I only run it on RaspberryPi, in which case the feature is disabled, so I can't vouch for it. (I use HDHomeRun without the recorder). You should be able to do this with desktop computers (and maybe even with a Pi if you build your own Kodi).

All this cord cutting leads to so many rabbit holes that it's not piquing my interest one iota. And it could ending up costing you even more. I don't mind paying ~ $100 to have everything at my fingertips and simple. And, with Chromecast or Google Cast or whatever they're calling it this week you can have virtually anything streamed to your TV for free so with or without the cord you're in business. KISS
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    I always been a fan of over the air with a tivo and lifetime license. I'm still using my tivo 3hd all these years later. Sadly I can't commit on the setup you speak off.
    It's remarkable that you can find OTA stuff worth watching. On weekends, the OTA stuff in my area is wall-to-wall infomercials.
    What's really surprising is that we're in the middle of the Medicare Advantage blitz season. The remarkable thing is that Humana buys half-hour infomercial time and it's not even offered within the coverage area of the transmitters.

Remember when TV shows had a single sponsor and you'd get a quick commercial at the start, middle and end, with no other interruptions?

Now the interruptions seem to be the program content.

Blog Entries

I couldn't deal with cord cutting. Sure you are off the cable/satellite network but now all your stuff is scattered across multiple subscriptions on multiple services with airing rights in some cases only lasting a year or so. You stop paying for one connection and end up paying equal or more in what is basically package bundles.

Remember when TV shows had a single sponsor and you'd get a quick commercial at the start, middle and end, with no other interruptions?
    I love it every time I come across an american station. Their commercials feel way more slimy than the canadian broadcast stuff.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Yeah, I imagine that you don't get the drug commercials and the ambulance chasers.

Lately, I've been looking at some of the old shows at reruncentury; if you don't mind 1950s fuzzy monochrome, some of them are pretty interesting.

Pluto.tv has some interesting old stuff also.

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    I couldn't deal with cord cutting. Sure you are off the cable/satellite network but now all your stuff is scattered across multiple subscriptions on multiple services with airing rights in some cases only lasting a year or so. You stop paying for one connection and end up paying equal or more in what is basically package bundles.
    Exactly. Well put.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Huh?? That's not "cord cutting". That's like "quitting" smoking but becoming a vapist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Exactly. Well put.
    I specifically remember how much it was touted that broadband in the 90's would introduce Video on Demand soon after and that I guess is true as I can now get access to almost any movie or television show I want as long as it has been digitized but man, nobody would of guessed that regional airing restrictions, licensing and rights ownership would splinter it off in so many ways as possible that the whole purpose was nullified by cost.
    I never actually cut the cable. I just never resubscribed when I moved home. In most cases it's cheaper to just hit up Youtube or your video downloading website of choice because oh look, Youtube is recommending I look at a segment from last night's Conan show but oh look, TBS blocked it on me because I don't live in the United States.
    = Excellent space heater