Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP - Firefox vs Bing

Blog Entries

Default XP - Firefox vs Bing

The other day I was doing some housekeeping on my Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe and happened to bring up Firefox for something or another. I wasn't there long and closed the app. A hour or so later I went back in and to my surprise, I no had Firefox but for Bing. It seems I've been hijacked by Microsoft.

A quick check of the properties in the Firefox desktop icon showed "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe". Also, a cursory search of the XP Programs directory failed to turn-up anything related to Bing. So, long story short; when I click on Firefox, I get Bing. I can't say that I'm dissatisfied with the presentation. I was able to log-in to Bing with my Gmail account and it looks really good on this old girl.

I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. If I open the Mozilla Firefox folder and click on the Firefox executable, Bing comes up. I know Halloween is just around the corner but this is ridiculous. I try and take a photo or two later on today.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Bing is a search engine, not a browser. You're still using Firefox.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Look at the FF "preferences" menu and make certain that Bing hasn't been set to your home page or default.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Bing is a search engine, not a browser. You're still using Firefox.
    My point is how it got there. Also, Bing is a search engine, as you stated, but with pictures. I never installed it.

Blog Entries

Did you install anything else? Unfortunately, with the search engine wars still ongoing, a lot of software will tweak the default home page and search engine in order to claim the reward from the search engine provider.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Did you install anything else? Unfortunately, with the search engine wars still ongoing, a lot of software will tweak the default home page and search engine in order to claim the reward from the search engine provider.
    I never installed anything other than the Mozilla version that works with XP on this old PC, and that goes back to 2015. This box is a gamer and I normally never use it to browse. Also, 99% of what's on the HD are games. I never saw a provision in this version of Foxfire to to select an alternative search engine, however, there may be one as I never looked. The cool thing is that Bing works pretty good on this box considering it's a AMD Barton 3300 chip and only 3 GB of memory and a 1 GB video card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Look at the FF "preferences" menu and make certain that Bing hasn't been set to your home page or default.
    Can't get to the Firefox menu as Bing has taken over. I try to post a snapshot later on today.

Blog Entries

Again: Bing is not a browser. It is a search engine, and your Firefox has been set to use that as the home page. You're still running FireFox.

Maybe your FireFox updated itself somehow? Or you installed anything that switched it? Maybe you accepted defaults on something without paying attention?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Again: Bing is not a browser. It is a search engine, and your Firefox has been set to use that as the home page. You're still running FireFox.

Maybe your FireFox updated itself somehow? Or you installed anything that switched it? Maybe you accepted defaults on something without paying attention?
    All of that is possible but I didn't consciously alter anything. Also, it now appears that Bing is more than just a search engine:

1..jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

After poking around it does appear that there is a Bing extension for Foxfire. Also, there is a pop-up which offers to install Bing as an extension but it doesn't work. Maybe it was osmosis, don't know but it's there. After playing with it a while, I think I'm going to keep it.

Blog Entries

FF should have a "safe" mode; go to a command prompt (or "run") and enter

Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    You should be able to get into your "Options" menu under the "Tools" tab and see what's going on.