Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with a broken Imac G3 willing to sell parts?

Default Anyone with a broken Imac G3 willing to sell parts?

It seems my luck buying anything with a CRT on eBay has been bad lately. Anyway, I was going to cleanup/restore a 500MHZ G3 IMAC for a friend of mine. When I got the unit, the seller barely used any packing material and the unit arrives all smashed. I can fix the translucent CRT bezel, but the beige bezel behind it is literally shattered into hundreds of pieces. The seller refunded me in total once he saw the photos. I think I can fix it if someone has a spare bezel. The only one I find online is for the ORIGINAL IMAC g3 bondi blue where it had almost rectangular speakers. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12346084939...m=123460849395

The 500mhz unit I have has those round speakers and that is what I need the inner bezel for. If someone has one or a line on one please contact me. (or a broken unit to sell whole, I am on the East Coast USA)
    Thanks,
    Mick

Blog Entries

I talked to a friend about this and you might be better off finding another mac. They are extremely fragile.
    The inner bezels don't age well and even removing the CRT from a donor machine to salvage the bezel will break it.
    = Excellent space heater

Thanks Next. I was afraid of this. I guess that explains why it literally shattered into glitter size pieces. Strange thing is i have two original imac bondi blue 233 mhz machinew and those bezels as seen in that ebay link are fine. They must have used a different pladtic on the latter imac g3's. Oh this stinks.

Blog Entries

The CRT iMacs are not aging well. Brittle plastics, speaker cone rot, drive belts, flyback arcing and failure and of course, some of them are yellowing. It's becoming apparent that back when Apple was still tying to rebuild their finances they had to shave pennies.
    = Excellent space heater

Oohhh but wasn't this what made Apple so superior to Commodore?

I had a 600 MHz iMac G3 Snow sitting for years on offer and nobody wanted it, went off to the recycling center a couple of years ago.

Found an eMac G4 1.42 GHz a bit after I got rid of the iMac, it is a MUCH better machine.

I have an emac complete in box. It is my second,emac. First one I found was rather easy to overclock with a small jumper. Anyway. I have two bondi blue imac originals, and I am ok with that. This one really was going to be a gift once I cleaned it all up. Its a damn shame.

I would like to add the original G3 iMacs are having some capacitor issues as well, mostly on the analog board. I was looking for that bezel for a long time, I finally found a different M5521 local that was in somewhat better shape and swapped the motherboard from my original unit over to the one with the better tube and frame.
    Looking for: Macintosh PowerBook 100, Tandy TRS-80 Model 100/101/102, newly written LTE 5400 BIOS ROM, iMac G3 M5521 (working or not)

Around here, you can't give them away. Over in Savannah they used to give away pallettes of the iMacs and eMacs for nothing if you came and got them (Savannah College of Art and Design). Of course, then you would see people trying to flip them on Craigslist, but that was a waste of time. Nobody wants them.

working units are starting to fetch money on ebay now. They are just over 20 years old so I suspect working units will go up in price as time goes on. I only wanted the original 233mhz unit and found two for the price of time and gas. I would take oe of the later units if one came by in working condition but I wouldnt seek them out.