Image Map Image Map

Thread: Weird Jaton jxm-jet 88 v2 motherboard

Default Weird Jaton jxm-jet 88 v2 motherboard

I recently picked up this slightly odd 8088 motherboard from a recycling centre for $5.50
    The weird thing about it is the fact it has 4 SIPP sockets, yet it is clearly an 8088 based board!

20191102_202323.jpg

I haven't worked on an 8088 computer before - the earliest machine I've built is a 386, but I think it would be fun to make a computer out of this.

Just wondering if anybody knows anything about boards like this? I found one old thread on vogons that mentions something like it (https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51610), but nothing much more than that.

What should I know to get me started? What differences are there between building an 8088 computer and building an AT like my 386, and what would I need to test the board first?

It would be a bit of a waste not to use those SIPP sockets, but I know there's pretty restrictive memory limitations for 8088s. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Usual configuration was 4 x 256KB SIPPs. You'll need a keyboard that's XT compatible--and of course, the usual display, storage, etc. cards as well as the correct power supply. The switches should follow the IBM 5160 pattern. I believe that Jaton was located in the Netherlands.

Thanks. Sounds not too far removed from setting up an AT...
    I've read elsewhere that an AT power supply should work, provided I get the right sort of case. Is this correct?

Blog Entries

Pretty much true, particularly when it comes to clones. The POWER GOOD pin may be a hiccup, but that's pretty easy to bodge up.