Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spectrum/Charter/Time Warner Voice phone service

If you're paying to rent it, I would highly recommend purchasing your own when it does give up the ghost, if not sooner.

Spectrum "stopped" charging modem rental fees awhile back (at least in this area), they just increased the service charge to offset the change. I don't think they offer the discount for having your own modem anymore here.

With how much trouble I've had over the last 20 or so years of modems blowing up from lightning strikes or other line faults, I'd rather not buy my own modem and have to pay for yet another when it inevitably dies.

The problem (which I've encountered numerous times over the years) is that eventually when you cancel the service, they not only demand the return of their equipment (reasonable), they will "send you to collections" for the price of it plus late fees, after you return it, and even after you convince them (with the receipts) that you *did* return it (unreasonable).

But yes, you could even amortise that, and it might be worth the cost if your modem gives up the ghost. I've been fortunate in that I've never had one fail. I have had the cable company obsolete the one I had, but the only time that happened to one that I owned, I had a service tech trade mine for a now compatible one. I'm not sure if he was authorised to do that or not, I didn't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    With how much trouble I've had over the last 20 or so years of modems blowing up from lightning strikes or other line faults, I'd rather not buy my own modem and have to pay for yet another when it inevitably dies.
    If you leave your equipment connected to power, phone line or cable during a thunderstorm your risking way more damage than just the modem.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

That's only if you have inadequate lightning protection. If you do, the only thing you have to worry about is a direct strike, in which case there are bigger fish to fry.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    The problem (which I've encountered numerous times over the years) is that eventually when you cancel the service, they not only demand the return of their equipment (reasonable), they will "send you to collections" for the price of it plus late fees, after you return it, and even after you convince them (with the receipts) that you *did* return it (unreasonable).
    I've got three or four modems in the basement that were replaced by Verizon over the years -- all for free. They didn't want the old ones back.

They still work.

I use one of them during thunderstorm activity to run wireless, battery driven devices, e.g., laptop, phone, tablet, etc., that aren't plugged into anything. That way if there is a lightning strike all I stand to lose is an old modem that was replaced years ago with an upgraded model. There was a strike over ten years ago that ate a router, TV and one computer in my house.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    That's only if you have inadequate lightning protection. If you do, the only thing you have to worry about is a direct strike, in which case there are bigger fish to fry.
    There is no adequate lightning protection. If you think there is you're living a fantasy. The only protection is the included insurance that comes with the so-called lightning-proof equipment. The equipment will be toast -- you will be paid.

Please tell that to everyone who has adequate protection. Do you think cell towers don't get struck by lightning for instance?

You absolutely can protect yourself from lightning surges on the cable line, very easily. Polyphaser makes a gas discharge product that you can use for under $100, for instance. Combine that with proper earthing and you're pretty well set. If you want to get crazy, you can install a fiber connection on the Ethernet side, and put the modem in a box outside.